Can we still do Mendenhall Glacier with a whale watching at 10am

Oneill214

We're in Juneau 6:30am-4:00pm and we have a private whale watching boat booked for our party of 12 at 10am. I would love to do the Nugget Falls hike at Mendenhall Glacier while we're in Juneau but I'm not sure if we'll have time, what do you think? I've read reviews of people going first thing in the morning and enjoying the hike before the crowds but it's going to be cutting it close before our whale watching. I also looked up the shuttle and it doesn't run that early, so it seems like we'd be taking a cab if we wanted to go early (unless you have another suggestion).

Discuss your with your whale watch operator what he can do. Some excursions offer whale 'n Mendenhall combos as they are both located West of the cruise ship docks.

Some excursions give you more time at Mendenhall than others. In the old days, there was an option to stay behind at Mendenhall to explore the trails and return via shuttle. Some say that option is not available any more. I'll leave you to research this option.

• 1 month later...

You mention "private", is it a charter? If so, they won't have a whale watch prior, so I'd have that whale watch time at 9am. Then a cab direct to Mendenhall. Take a shuttle back to the ship. Fits just fine.

You do NOT want to go back and forth to the dock. IF you go before the whale watch, then a call at 9a from Mendenhall I'm assuming you are already paid, call to check in with the whlae watch. And just meet them at their slip. Be certain to get the EXACT marina address. there are a few.

• 9 months later...

This is an old post- not trying to hijack it, but to ask an additional question!

BudgetQueen,

I am trying to find out how to get a shuttle one way, from Mendenhall back to the cruise dock. We will be dropped off at Mendenhall after our whale watch, so we will just need a way to get back to the cruise dock. Can you point me in a direction to find out how to do this?

thanks!

-Jerie

PS- I remember getting some fantastic info from you 10 years ago on our last Alaskan cruise- so glad to see your name again!