China SE Asia bird flu- Are you still going?

Don1

We're schedule on Oceania's Nautica -- Beijing, Shanghai, Japanese and Korean ports, Taipei, and Hong Kong, departing 3/13/06. As of now, we'll play it by ear - lots can happen in 4 months. If it remains as low-risk as it is today, we'll definitely go.

Mike

I just returned from 17 days in Vietnam. I am returning to Vietnam and Cambodia on January 26. Am I worried? Yes Will I not go? NO

So far, bird flu is not transmissable between humans. So I do not eat chicken or poultry, Do NOT go to the bird sanctuary outside Saigon (it is on a lot of Mekong Delta tours), DO NOT handle or buy any of the feather dusters, hair ornaments, etc., which are so prevalent in the markets. Use LOTS and LOTS of antibacterial wet wipes (take them from the US-they are far superior in quality and much better in all ways). Use antibacterial hand cleaner all the time. Keep my hands away from my face. Make sure you take ALL the shots, even those that are only recommended. Ask your doctor to have doses of Tamiflu available, just in case. Make sure you have a good medical evacuation policy. Hopefully, I will be OK.

Flying into Hong Kong on April14 and sailing on the Statendam on April 17.

YES! We are sailing. Kind of reminds me of the over the top media scare of the SARS virus in Toronto. I am not going to stop living because of this virus. It would be like not going to Miami or New Orleans because of the guns. Never stopped me then, or will not stop me now!

• 3 months later...

Hi friend

The announcement is really very good that the Centers for Disease Control said on Monday it would closely monitor any threat to human health from a highly pathogenic strain of bird flu found on a Texas chicken farm, these kind announcement should be took place regularly, another way from protecting bird flu infection is the use of tamiflu drug for more information see- http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3353-s-tamiflu.aspx you can find all information here.

I just visited the traveller's health clinic here and then my GP again. They were more concerned with Hepatitis A and B then the 'bird flu'. He advised us to be up to date on our booster shot, flu shot and start on the Twinrix series of injections. (after a screening for hepatitis) These shots also, are not just because of travel to China, but because we will be on a cruise ship, filled with lots of people and we also travel to resorts in the Carribean.

What's interesting is that the GP I saw for my physical late last fall didn't indicate any additional shots were recommended. :confused:

At least I got my DH in for his first ever flu shot! ;)

Archived