Not wheelchair bound, but need oxygen for excursions

wheaton24

I use oxygen for exercise and sleeping, but I don't need a special cabin that accommodates wheelchairs. My issue is the excursions. I can walk ok, although I need to carry on oxygen concentrator on wheels. I can do some stairs and small inclines, but not too steep.

So what upscale/luxury ships or riverboats in Europe (and itineraries) have relatively easy excursions? I don't want to just sit on a bus but Level 3 and 4 activity excursions are too difficult for me. Ideally, I'd love to spend some time in Amsterdam. Any suggestions?

Amsterdam is relative easy to get around. I've been there both before and after I required oxygen and a mobility scooter. The cruise ship terminal is near Amsterdam Central Train Station. I do not know where the riverboats dock. Also, since they are not wheelchair friendly, I never taken a riverboat cruise.

For Amsterdam I would suggest that you first research "Local Amsterdam Canal Cruises" and consider one of the hop on / hop off options. I do believe that one would get you to the major sights. There is a canal boat that starts in front of the train station. I think most the canal boats stop at the Anne Frank House and Rijksmuseum. To my knowledge, the only fully operating windmill is on the outskirts of town. We took the tram and scooted a couple blocks.

I did notice that there is a riverboat cruise "Grand European Tour" starting in Amsterdam and ending in Budapest. You could go into Amsterdam a couple days early and see everything. That cruise has two days in Vienna and two days in Budapest plus other stops. Both Vienna and Budapest have a lot to offer and are beautiful. Budapest has a hill (mountain), however there is a funicular to the top. Amsterdam and Vienna are level.

Like you, we prefer seeing sights up close, for that reason, we always created our own tours. Get a map, locate sights you want to see and develop your route. Using Google maps, you can determine the distance between two points.

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty