Crystal Ball question

indygirl99

My crystal ball is broken so I thought I would ask my question here and get some opinions.

Because of work schedules we are not able to do the cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. This is a once in a lifetime cruise, although I am hoping to convince Mr Indy to make it an annual event.

I have reserved the smaller boat Tracy Arm excursion and we will be cruising the second week of August. I know sometimes the smaller boat is not able to get into the glacier area either. The tour states if ice prevents cruising they will do Endicott Arm.

My understanding is this would leave from Juneau. So we would stay on the Emerald like the rest of the passengers and then catch the tour at docking.

We also want to do the tour that goes to Mendenhall Glacier where you walk around on your own. But if Tracey Arm is iced in the tour times will overlap.

I am trying to pay for all of our cruise and tours ahead of time so we don't have to worry when we are actually cruising.

My question for those of you with working crystal balls is How often in August does the Tracy Arm small excursion not make it? Am I safe booking the Mendenhall tour and paying or should I wait and take my chances on getting a walk on for the Mendenhall tour.

I am enjoying reading and learning from everyone here and appreciate any insight anyone has.

We also want to do the tour that goes to Mendenhall Glacier where you walk around on your own. But if Tracey Arm is iced in the tour times will overlap.

I am trying to pay for all of our cruise and tours ahead of time so we don't have to worry when we are actually cruising.

My question for those of you with working crystal balls is How often in August does the Tracy Arm small excursion not make it? Am I safe booking the Mendenhall tour and paying or should I wait and take my chances on getting a walk on for the Mendenhall tour.

I get that you want to pay for everything ahead of time, but if you are entertaining the possibility of going to Mendenhall Glacier and want to walk around on your own, you're just complicating things. You don't need a tour to do that. When you write "tour" you mean with a tour guide, right? Actually, you can easily walk up on the day and get on a shuttle bus for a small fee, and it will take you straight to the glacier. That way you leave some flexibility in your plans should your small boat excursion be cancelled.

We plan to do Mendenhall on our own. From my research, I've found that there is a city bus (about $4 per person, I think) that let's you off about a mile from the visitor center and a shuttle ($30 RT per person) that takes you all the way there. From what I understand, you get a little commentary from the shuttle driver during the ride. Neither has to be reserved ahead of time and they run all day.

We have a tour booked around noon (Taste of Juneau Walking Tour), so our Mendenhall trip will be flexible whenever we are ready to go. That might be a good option for you as well.

My crystal ball is broken so I thought I would ask my question here and get some opinions.

Because of work schedules we are not able to do the cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. This is a once in a lifetime cruise, although I am hoping to convince Mr Indy to make it an annual event.

I have reserved the smaller boat Tracy Arm excursion and we will be cruising the second week of August. I know sometimes the smaller boat is not able to get into the glacier area either. The tour states if ice prevents cruising they will do Endicott Arm.

My understanding is this would leave from Juneau. So we would stay on the Emerald like the rest of the passengers and then catch the tour at docking.

I am enjoying reading and learning from everyone here and appreciate any insight anyone has.

Are you northbound or southbound into Juneau? My understanding is that if you are northbound, the boat picks you up off the ship close to the entrance to Tracy Arm and returns you to the dock in Juneau after the tour. If southbound, then you would leave from the dock and the ship picks you up in Tracy Arm.