Questions about tender boats in Grand Cayman?

Steph at Sea

We are cruising to Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman April 29th and this is our 1st time with a tendering port. How specifically does it work? There are 6 cruisers in our group, (aged 6-57). We will be in GC from 9a-430p. None of us have excursions scheduled. How soon can we get off the ship if we aren't a priority because of not doing an excursion? And then how soon do we need to be back to ensure we don't miss our ship? It leaves at 430. We're definitely not planning on cutting it close or anything but I want to make sure I don't have to be in line waiting for a tender for hours or anything.

🍹🌞

They will give out tender tickets (actually stickers) earlier that morning - usually in the theatre or one of the lounges. Everyone needs to go (you can't send one person to pick up 6 stickers). Then they will call these numbers in order to proceed to the tenders. People with Carnival excursions get the earliest numbers, otherwise depending on how early you want to line up for a number, you most likely would be off the ship in about an hour (ish) or less.

OR

If you're not in a hurry, once the initial rush dies off, they will just have the tenders running continuously on a first-come-first served basis for the rest of the day.

As for getting back - they will clearly announce and post what time the last tender will run (likely about 4:00). Plan to be at the pier 30-45 minutes before that time and you shouldn't have any issues... but in practicality, as long as you are in line before that last tender is scheduled to depart, you'll get back. In line meaning standing in the queue on the pier, not wandering through the duty free, etc.

Edited by I Am Canadian, Eh

We didn't have an excursion planned so we waited about an hour and the rush was over and like was posted above we just went down and got on the tender, no waiting at all. We hired a driver in Grand Cayman and had a wonderful tour of the island and even had time for lunch at Margarettaville and shopping. We got in line for what I thought would be the last boat but there were actually 2 more after ours so like was posted above, get in line and you will be good. I liked not being in a rush to get off the boat and not having to battle the crowds.

Tendering to Grand Cayman is pretty easy. As posted above, wait about an hour to get off the ship & have virtually no line. Coming back, we usually line up about an hour prior to last tender, then have no line there either, but that's just us. There are many ways to do "do it yourself" tours in GrCa. Public transportation is easy & inexpensive. Seven Mile beach or just walking the shop area makes for an easy inexpensive day. Most places along 7mi beach expect you to buy a few drinks/ food or pay for the privilege to sit on their beach area

We get priority tendering as platinum (special, right?) and it's just from the ship, not returning. We grab a bottle of water and wait for the return tender line to go down to near zero. I'm amazed at people that stand in the sun for to return to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums