Free alcohol drink plan

Sandi07054

You will get charged VAT until you hit a non-EU port.

That isn't how it works.

Out of Copenhagen, we were charged no tax last year.

From some ports in Europe (principally Barcelona), VAT is charged during the whole cruise if the ship doesn't leave the VAT zone. However, that is only if you are paying for the drinks. Apart from an issue they had on the Star last Autumn, NCL hasn't been charging that VAT on drinks obtained using the UBP for some time.

There has never (as far as I'm aware) been a situation where VAT is charged until you hit a Non EU port. You may get charged VAT whilst in port in some European countries (we have been in Barcelona, Malaga and Southampton), but it is only whilst in port, similar to the situation in the US (unless it's an all EU cruise as described above).

Ok, so we pay tax on drinks while in U.S. ports in in U.S. waters anyway. When I was on a RCCL ship last year and had a drink pkg. we were not charged while in port in Fort Lauderdale. So is this a NCL thing? or a New York thing? Just curious

no certainly not an NCL thing, it is a state thing, based on the state and whether they are going in enforce it. The only time we were charged was out of Miami. Regardless, look at it this way, it is only while in port and how many drinks can one person consume while in port? I might add, the tax is very little. Now just go and enjoy and don't worry about the few cents that may be added to your bill. :D

It's an NCL thing if other cruise lines like RCI don't collect the sales tax on drink package orders. I don't know if that means that the other lines are paying it on behalf of customers, or if they interpret the tax laws in a different way and don't give anything to the state.

The "don't worry about a few cents" argument only works because most of us are getting the UBP for free at the moment (or for $14.22/day), so what if you get charged another $5 on a couple of port days. If they ever go back to making people pay full price for the UBP, they will have to rethink collecting tax on each drink in port on top of that.

Anyone know how long it takes out of the New York port to Bermuda for them to stop charging the tax?

I read 4 hours but have no idea if that is accurate. We were charged from 4pm until 10pm out of New Orleans but it take FOREVER to get down the Mississippi out to ocean so I'm sure NY out is sooner. It may also be a state thing and NY might not even have that tax? It was between 80 cents and $1.10 a drink I think for us. We had UBP as a perk so paying about $20 in tax on top of the 18% gratuity for all the beverages we consumed was a bargain to us! LOL