iMessages on iPhone

blueboy98

Thank you for clarifying the whatsapp. I won't need to have since I'll have wifi. Can I text at sea and have my family get the text immediately or doesn't it work too well at sea? Thank you.

So if you have iMessage texting is free if connected to the ships wifi?

NCL's internet package is $24.99 per day. Does anyone know if everyone has to purchase their own internet package.. we're only going to use it for texting, no pictures or surfing. It'll be $400+ for 2 for the week.

Whatsapp was suggested in the event the recipient doesn't have iMessage. Regular texts can't be sent.

The OP specifically stated everybody had iPhones. So my answer was specific to them. There is always email as well. You would be able to message anyone regardless of messaging system type and not having to worry about third party apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you have iMessage texting is free if connected to the ships wifi?

NCL's internet package is $24.99 per day. Does anyone know if everyone has to purchase their own internet package.. we're only going to use it for texting, no pictures or surfing. It'll be $400+ for 2 for the week.

You can all use it, just not at the same time. Only one device can be logged in at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NCL iConcierge app can be downloaded for free. Once onboard you can activate it on the ship for $14.95 per phone one time fee (duration of trip). This will enable you to text your family members using the app, NOT iMessage. If you want to use your phone's regular iMessage you need to purchase the Wifi package at $24.96 per day per phone, log into the wifi and message back and forth.

I had the IConcierge app for my cruise on the Breakaway Oct 2015, will I need to pay for it again when I sail on the Dawn this May?
If you want to use the messaging and calling functions, yes. The activation fee is only good for one sailing.

You don't even need the iconcierge app for iMessage to work. Just put phone on airplane mode and turn on wifi. Don't log in, just turn it on. Only works with iMessage. No charges, no wifi needed. One note, pictures won't send or receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been reading and reading and reading about all this. So you are saying that if I have 3 iphones we can all put our phones in airplane mode, turn on the wifi (does that mean we need an internet package? And then we can all text at no charge?

iMessage does not work anymore on NCL Getaway. I was on the 3/12 sailing and they fixed the loophole. We had to use the iConcierge app to stay in touch while on board. It worked (most of the time), but for $14.99 per device it seems like a total ripoff. NCL added a new texting only plan that was ~$75 for 7 days

Can you tell me about this new texting plan? what ships use it and is it 75 for 7 days PER device?

I have been reading and reading and reading about all this. So you are saying that if I have 3 iphones we can all put our phones in airplane mode, turn on the wifi (does that mean we need an internet package? And then we can all text at no charge?

I got off the jewel on 3/5 and the iMessage worked. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes but it is a loophole, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I first discovered it last March on POA. I was iMessaging my daughter back in Canada. I did not purchase an internet plan and did not pay anything extra to NCL nor to my carrier. I was in airplane mode with wifi on.

Last September it worked the same on the Getaway and recently(Feb) on the Epic, but only between some iphones and not others....we could not figure out why, but that's the way it was.

I will say that iConcierge worked well on POA for communicating with others onboard through that app, (paying about $10-12 for onboard messaging for the whole trip). On Getaway it did not work well and I asked, and received, a refund after trying it on the first day. On the Epic, while we had the app for checking the daily schedule, we did not bother paying for onboard messaging, however the app was continually connecting and disconnecting to the point of annoyance and drained my battery so I deleted the app.