On the Epic in July Rome/Rome, my family gets seasick easily, should we take precauti

Lorikenh

Should we take precautions (meds) before getting on the ship. Our cabin is level 12, aft. Or is the ship so big, we shouldn't get seasick?? We are very sensitive to motion sickness, any recommendations on what to take, least side effects?

I would say that if you know you have severe motion sickness that you should take precautions. Those that don't have this do not understand the sensitivity. I love cruising, but I can't set foot on a cruise ship without my patch behind my ear. The best to do is to take bonine before you get on and take it daily. As you know, once you feel sick, it could take days of meds to make you right again and then you've missed half the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you know it could be an issue, I would come fully prepared; however, what is going to help with each person, could be completely different.

I am very prone to seasickness, and in fact was completely nauseous, which a horrible case of heartburn, my first two cruises. I didn't let that stop me from having fun, I just needed to figure out what worked the best for me. This is what I found worked:

- First, I start a round of 14 day Prilosec about five days before the cruise.

- Second, I put a behind the ear patch on the night before the cruise leaves.

- Third, I take Bonine each night before going to bed.

With this combination, I was completely fine on my last two cruises, and both were on smaller ships with A LOT of rocking. And in both cases, we were up high and even up front for the last cruise.

But... I would recommend bringing the patches (doctor's prescription required), Bonine or Dramamine (Bonine seems less drowsy to me), and seabands. I bring those for my young son, but he has never had the need for them. You should be fairly covered with all three.

Worst case scenario... You spend money on a bunch of stuff you don't use. That isn't really a horrible situation if no one needs to take the meds.

We were on the Epic in July it was like sailing in a bathtub..never felt any motion at all..we were in a midship balcony on a lower floor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You were lucky. Our transit from Naples to Israel was rock n'roll all the way.

Bonine/generic: Meclizine works like a champ:D

P.S. The scopolamine patch requires a prescription in US but it's over the counter in Canada, FYI.

As a PP said, people who don't get seasick may not understand! My ex-husband would get seasick when I could feel absolutely no movement at all! DD is also prone to seasickness, but not quite as bad as her father. She uses SeaBands and they work great for her. I agree with those who said if you're prone to seasickness then be prepared. It doesn't matter where your cabin is, you should have what you need (better to have it and not need it than vice versa). For quick relief, my daughter uses Motioneaze, which is like a miracle cure for her!

Used the patch once, but both myself and husband had bad side effects. Now we use Bonine(can also get from guest services on the ship).

Green apples, ginger ale help, but the best is pretzels--that's why you find pretzel rolls all around the ship.

Safe sailing