Hennessey White

elainmir

I bought this last cruise for a friend but found it's in very high demand. I was yelled at by some people who were trying to buy it because I accidentally went the wrong way through the liquor store part and cut the line. I didn't know the line was going that way. People were freaking out , they thought they weren't going to get it. Someone told me you can get it the first day and the day before the last day. What's the truth? When should I try to go get it? I'm buying it for a friend again and would like to be more prepared!

HW is in very high demand on cruises and in the U.S. by those bringing it back into the states from cruises and the Caribbean. I would get it from the ships store, and at the first chance possible. There have been some questions as to the authenticity of the product purchased from some stores in the Caribbean. The staff of the shop onboard the ship has been known to tell passengers that they have run out early in the cruise (happened to a relative in my presence), then bottles appear the next to the last night, or last night on the cruise. The prices have increased from $45.00 a bottle to $60.00 now (on my last cruise) to reflect it's popularity. I'm not a fan, but bring it back as gifts or to keep it around the house for those visiting. My drink preference is bourbon, whiskey, cognac and Cuban rum (can't purchase in the U.S.), which is priced better on the islands and ship, especially the higher priced exclusive liquors.

I bought this last cruise for a friend but found it's in very high demand. I was yelled at by some people who were trying to buy it because I accidentally went the wrong way through the liquor store part and cut the line. I didn't know the line was going that way. People were freaking out , they thought they weren't going to get it. Someone told me you can get it the first day and the day before the last day. What's the truth? When should I try to go get it? I'm buying it for a friend again and would like to be more prepared!

It's always cheaper on the islands, but if you purchase the first night on the ship they'll usually price match if you can bring proof of it being cheaper in port.

I've been on a sailing with one passenger who bought the entire stock for that sailing, night 1 (cases on top of cases) They stated they would claim and pay the taxes on it bealcause the profit would out weight those fees selling it at home.

I've bought a case @ $35 per bottle and sold it for $60-$80 a bottle. I'm not a fan of it at all, but there is a high demand in the US for it.

I got it on my cruise this past Dec the last night for $50/bottle. I gave one to my sister as a gift and kept the other bottle as part of my liquor collection (I buy liquor from every country I visit). I don't know what the hype is, but considering that I can't get it in the US it can go on display in my bar.

I'm guessing it's popular with rappers and hip hoppers as a sign of opulence and luxury. Which, btw, is why Kim Jong-un of North Korea buys hundreds of cases of this stuff while half of his population starves. But it's not as good as better cognacs and armagnacs; just priced a bit higher.

Haven't tried it but may have to pick up a bottle on my next trip just because it's not sold here in the States.

Sad part is I remember seeing it back in 2010 on the Sensation for either $24.99 or $29.99 a bottle. I do know it was 2/$45. Hindsight is 20/20!

I'm obviously clueless about it. We did see some people buying all the bottles they had available on our last cruise and asking the store manager(?) for a discount for buying so many. We just thought that it was weird, I didn't realize it was in such high demand.:confused:

Well I didn't realize it was in such demand either. There were people picking up their booze the last morning of cruise and one lady had bought so much of it that she couldn't carry it and was uber pissed that the staff would not help her carry it off the ship.:rolleyes: And I saw one lady that bought so much she had TWO rolling suitcases for it. I'm going to Coz next..is there anywhere there I can get it?. I don't want to put up with the shenanigans

• 6 months later...

On Cardinal Sunshine 2016 it was $57.99 per bottle. I often find it cheaper at a liquor store while in port. I purchase one bottle at that price and then purchase any additional bottles needed on the ship using the price match guarantee. People were actually yelling and nearly fighting over getting bottles on the ship the last night. I was in total shock!

Edited by dchoney
Picture didn’t appear.

I usually pick up a bottle or two for an attorney friend that I work with. Be aware that the shops on shore are wise to Carnival's price match guarantee and many won't openly display the price. Last year I purchased two bottles on the ship for $49.95 each and later found it for $34 in a shop on the pier at St. Maarten. When I snapped a shot of the price, the shop owner yelled to me that there were no pictures allowed and the shop security officer demanded I delete the photo. I refused and sprinted out the door with the shop security officer in pursuit. Losing him in the crowd I just managed to clear the security line back to the ships. Back on the ship that evening, the Funshops manager didn't want to honor the price, be relented when I told him what I went through to get it. :D

I'm going to Coz next..is there anywhere there I can get it?. I don't want to put up with the shenanigans

I don't know if you can get it on Coz (I don't even know what WH is) BUT, check at either Chedraui or Mega stores or Europea liquor store. All are located downtown on Melgar. Chedraui would probably have the lowest price but their stock is hit or miss on some things. We always get Controy there because it's only sold in Mexico and it's better and much less expensive than Cointreau here in the states.

I usually pick up a bottle or two for an attorney friend that I work with. Be aware that the shops on shore are wise to Carnival's price match guarantee and many won't openly display the price. Last year I purchased two bottles on the ship for $49.95 each and later found it for $34 in a shop on the pier at St. Maarten. When I snapped a shot of the price, the shop owner yelled to me that there were no pictures allowed and the shop security officer demanded I delete the photo. I refused and sprinted out the door with the shop security officer in pursuit. Losing him in the crowd I just managed to clear the security line back to the ships. Back on the ship that evening, the Funshops manager didn't want to honor the price, be relented when I told him what I went through to get it. :D

Damn:loudcry:

I want to know the exact limit of bottles that i can bring back. Hoping the 4 that family have asked me to bring back will be ok. :cool:

I myself have never had it. Whats another popular drink to buy? I do like rums.

You can technically bring back as many bottles as you want, but any bottles above the duty free limit of 1 liter per person is subject to duty. That said, the duty per bottle is only $1-2. On each of 6 previous cruises, I have never brought back less than 8 bottles and the only time I had to pay a duty was in Jacksonville in 2012. My wife and I had 8 bottles. The duty free allowance for the 2 of us was 2 liters. So on the remaining 6 liters I paid $11 and change. Considering one of the bottles was a liter of Glenfiddich 12YO Scotch that I got in Nassau for $28, versus about $60 at my local liquor store, I wasn't bothered a bit!