How far in advance would you pre-pay a hotel booking?

jimbug

We are going on a cruise in March out of FLL, and I (finally) decided on the hotel we want to stay at - the Sheraton Bal Harbour Beach Resort. (Yes, I know, it's getting torn down in May, but it's got what we need for the night - 24/7 pool & room service. My friend's flight doesn't get in until midnight, but we'll want something to do - we won't be on east coast time just yet!)

Anyhow, AAA discounted rate is about $300/night. I was considering paying that, when I decided to check Hotwire. I confirmed that one of the choices coming up was indeed the Sheraton for $180. MUCH better...and we don't really care which tower the room is in or bed configuration, etc, etc.

However, with it still being 4 months away, I am a bit leery about pre-paying already. I hate to be out $206 (final price with tax) if for some reason we have to cancel the cruise...or if my friend can't come (in which case, I'd just stay at a cheap airport motel), or if any multitude of things were to happen. I suppose it's no different than paying your final payment on your cruise 3 months out, but grrr....I just love being able to cancel my hotel reservations if I need to or if I change my mind...

Any thoughts?

Why not secure with CC for now and do priceline later (when you are more sure) but remember just because everyone else is getting it does not mean you will. How many other properties are available in that Star Cat there. You could end up in one you don't want with priceline. Also if you have insurance bought at time of purchase and with certain clauses you can cancel your hotel and get your money back (one of the clauses is that if someone in your party cancels then you can cancel depending on reason and what is covered.

CaptData,

I'm using Hotwire, rather than Priceline. If you're not familiar with it, it shows you the choices of hotels before you book. It does not show the actual hotel name, but rather, all the amenities, distance to airport, etc. Betterbidding.com has "figured it all out" and shows you how to identify the hotels in each category/geographical area. I'm 100% sure the 4* hotel in that zone is the Sheraton Bal Harbour....I'm just not real thrilled about paying for it in advance...though it would save over $100.

Well guys, I bit it and went ahead and purchased on Hotwire. I checked again this morning to "make sure it was still there" (ya, right!) :) and the price had gone down $10. Naturally, I figured that was fate's way of telling me to BUY IT NOW, so I did. haha

I'm happy with it, and it solves the hotel debate, at least. Plus, we'll have plenty to do right there at the resort (spa, beach, pool, Bal Harbour shops, etc.) without ever having to pay for a cab to take us anywhere or rent a car and pay for parking.

Wahoo!!

Archived