Stormy Weather and Docking??

Fidfam

We're sailing on the Breeze out of Galveston this Sunday. Weather is showing thunderstorms, 90% precip, and 20mph winds on Sunday. Does anyone know if these weather conditions are likely to create a problem for docking/sailing as scheduled on Sunday?

We're sailing on the Breeze out of Galveston this Sunday. Weather is showing thunderstorms, 90% precip, and 20mph winds on Sunday. Does anyone know if these weather conditions are likely to create a problem for docking/sailing as scheduled on Sunday?

We will be on the same sailing as you. I have also noticed that Mahogany Bay will have 25-30 mph winds in the a.m on the 5th. I'm wondering what the chances are of having to skip this port due to high winds and waves? This is the one I wanted to visit the most, so I'm hoping we can still dock despite the wind.

Time will tell.

I doubt it. They face westher issues all the time. As long as there is no hurricane, you should be fine. We did get some ports cancelled due to weather, but those were tender ports.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

We have missed two docking ports because of winds. You have to realize that these ships are just like a huge sail. When the wind hits them on the side, it's very difficult to maneuver them up to a pier. It all depends on the Captain, if he thinks he can dock the ship without any mishaps.

The Captain also keeps an eye on weather reports for later in the day. If he sees that there is rough weather scheduled for departure time, he may skip that island to avoid the bad weather.

We have missed two docking ports because of winds. You have to realize that these ships are just like a huge sail. When the wind hits them on the side, it's very difficult to maneuver them up to a pier. It all depends on the Captain, if he thinks he can dock the ship without any mishaps.

The Captain also keeps an eye on weather reports for later in the day. If he sees that there is rough weather scheduled for departure time, he may skip that island to avoid the bad weather.

I agree the Captain makes the final call but if the weather is calling for 25-30 mph winds I doubt the ship will port.

Gary

We will be on the same sailing as you. I have also noticed that Mahogany Bay will have 25-30 mph winds in the a.m on the 5th. I'm wondering what the chances are of having to skip this port due to high winds and waves? This is the one I wanted to visit the most, so I'm hoping we can still dock despite the wind.

Mahogany bay is not that easy to get into and if you have winds like that good chance you get an extra sea day.

Probably not. I would assume there will be tugs in Galveston to help the ship dock if needed