Epic Review

CruizCuz

Thank you for your concerns but we have never needed to check our account. We have never spent anything more than what has been included in our package

We were charged for our drinks AND taxes while at sea, despite having the drink package (UBP). Just trying to pass on information to help. I know there have been cruises where I didn't check my account. Now wondering if I should have? These boards are to relay our experiences both good and bad. I am trying to do so in an unbiased way as possible. I feel that if we only want to read about the good stuff, we could all talk with the cruiselines PR department.;)

Thank you very much for your review, it was helpful and informative.

We sailed the Epic a few years back and have booked her again for next year but this time we booked the UBP so I will make sure to keep an eye on my account!

I am so sorry for your disappointing trip. I feel that you wrote a very honest review, and everyone's expectations are different. I am sailing on the Epic out of Rome, so I will definitely be monitoring the reviews. I had a similar bad experience on Carnival several years back. Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope your next vacation is more enjoyable!!

Not to hijack your thread, but Norwegian is the only cruise line that charges taxes on drinks while in Port Canaveral. The other lines wait until they are at sea to log the sales. Well, I can only speak for RCCL having sailed from there many times. Can't speak for CCL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not to hijack your thread, but Norwegian is the only cruise line that charges taxes on drinks while in Port Canaveral. The other lines wait until they are at sea to log the sales. Well, I can only speak for RCCL having sailed from there many times. Can't speak for CCL.

With a drink package RCCL doesn't charge the taxes, with out one they do.

Back to OP. I would have went to guest services the first time, after that, I would have disputed the charges via my bank. Let NCL and the bank fight it out, I'm not ruining my vacation.

Thank you for your review. My DH always teases me about my receipt watching. In all of the years I caught one error. There was a discussion but I asked for a supervisor and it was handled. Apology accepted from both employees. I am glad you seem to have taken it in stride and did not allow it to deter you from trying NCL again.

With a drink package RCCL doesn't charge the taxes, with out one they do.

Back to OP. I would have went to guest services the first time, after that, I would have disputed the charges via my bank. Let NCL and the bank fight it out, I'm not ruining my vacation.

I agree totally! But you know what they say about "hindsight"?! ;) I guess I was just so shocked at the sheer amounts of the incorrect charges. IF this ever happened again, I would definitely wait until I get home.

I'm not liking the Epic the more I read here. Cruised Sky in April and October 2016 and didn't have any problems with added charges, dining, in-port taxes, etc. Used the gym/steam room daily free of charge.

Sailing Epic in Mar 2018 and am more concerned. Bride (my T/A too!) and I enjoy a balcony room, poolside bar and a table for two in the dining rooms. Drinks were included on Sky, but a previous RCCL in October 2015 we purchased the drink package. Unbeknown to me, gratuities were included and I tipped very well for service everywhere I went. I did this too on Sky. I believe in rewarding for excellence.

Only one negative dining experience happened on Sky during breakfast in the DR. Service began to be slow to non-existent mid breakfast, but I think it may have happened because my SIL sat with us later in the meal.

Because of the deal, the Epic was the only ship available. I so want to go back to the Sky, the ship that so met our needs.

Will be doing a charter on the Brilliance in December. Looking forward to it.

I'll continue to read these reviews, thank you.

As I read more and more of the responses and reviews of the Epic, I personally have come to realize that one of the problems with my 3 day cruise on the Epic was that it was a short cruise. It seems that those who have cruised this ship on longer, more port extensive sailings, are happier. It makes sense. The crews in the Taste and Manhattan dining rooms probably didn't think we would tip much more than the mandatory charges we prepaid. Little did they know that we always tip LOTS extra for exemplary service. So I guess to be fair, I would have to compare the Epic 3 day sailing, to other 3-4 day sailings I have cruised. It still didn't measure up in terms of service in the dining area, and the personal touches by our room stewards on other ships. This includes both RCCL and CCL. For those of you who are contemplating cruising the Epic, or already have booked a sailing, compare apples to apples. Look at what the longer cruisers have to say about her. Especially if you are cruising longer. But my opinion of the Guest Services dept on the Epic won't change. And that is that they should learn how to apologize and make corrections in timely manners.

I truly appreciate all the constructive comments, and the kind words. My advice is: Go into all cruises with realistic expectations. Read what others have said. For example, if if after causing the Epic, I didn't like the room configuration and slammed it constantly on CC, then I wouldn't have been realistic. I should have read what others had to say and understood going in, that there was a different cabin configuration. We happened to know ahead of time, and enjoyed the different room. It doesn't mean we necessarily liked it and would do it again, but it was different.

But I feel that "service" is one of the reasons I cruise. I enjoy being "waited on", not having to cook, wash dishes or clean my room, etc. I reward good service heavily. My daughter was a server going through college and I appreciate the service industry. I also know that many of the workers on the cruiselines, go without seeing their families for months and months. They work long hours for little pay. I ALWAYS take that into consideration before criticizing a ship employee. I feel everyone can make a mistake, as I said in my original post. But it's how you handle that mistake, that can set you apart in this world.

As I read more and more of the responses and reviews of the Epic, I personally have come to realize that one of the problems with my 3 day cruise on the Epic was that it was a short cruise. It seems that those who have cruised this ship on longer, more port extensive sailings, are happier. It makes sense. The crews in the Taste and Manhattan dining rooms probably didn't think we would tip much more than the mandatory charges we prepaid. Little did they know that we always tip LOTS extra for exemplary service. So I guess to be fair, I would have to compare the Epic 3 day sailing, to other 3-4 day sailings I have cruised. It still didn't measure up in terms of service in the dining area, and the personal touches by our room stewards on other ships. This includes both RCCL and CCL. For those of you who are contemplating cruising the Epic, or already have booked a sailing, compare apples to apples. Look at what the longer cruisers have to say about her. Especially if you are cruising longer. But my opinion of the Guest Services dept on the Epic won't change. And that is that they should learn how to apologize and make corrections in timely manners.

I truly appreciate all the constructive comments, and the kind words. My advice is: Go into all cruises with realistic expectations. Read what others have said. For example, if after cruising the Epic, I didn't like the room configuration and slammed it constantly on CC, then I wouldn't have been realistic. I should have read what others had to say and understood going in, that there was a different cabin configuration. We happened to know ahead of time, and enjoyed the different room. It doesn't mean we necessarily liked it and would do it again, but it was different.

But I feel that "service" is one of the reasons I cruise. I enjoy being "waited on", not having to cook, wash dishes or clean my room, etc. I reward good service heavily. My daughter was a server going through college and I appreciate the service industry. I also know that many of the workers on the cruiselines, go without seeing their families for months and months. They work long hours for little pay. I ALWAYS take that into consideration before criticizing a ship employee. I feel everyone can make a mistake, as I said in my original post. But it's how you handle that mistake, that can set you apart in this world.

CruizCuz, you are so right, it is how you handle the mistake. I have had happy /unhappy moments on short and long cruises. It did not stop me from cruising in fact today my DD and I just booked a cruise for ourselves and DGD. I said I would never sail POA (expensive) not because of the reviews but here I am booked and excited about going. I like that you gave a heads up to everyone to watch our receipts and still shared your good time.

We were on the Epic in 2016 and got way overcharged for drinks although we had the ubp. Same thing, they wanted us to provide a proof. I argued that with the ubp, there should be any charges for a glass of regular wine for dinner etc. also, they could not provide signed slips or anything so they finally removed the charges. But it was first and immediately my fault......