South Cruises and Zika Question

Not sure if this has ever been addressed on this forum before. Sorry if it has. We are expecting yet another snowstorm tomorrow and are just soooooo fed up with winter.....

Has anyone addressed the whole zika thing when cruising to the Caribbean? My daughter and her husband are trying to expand their family, but are also craving a vacation somewhere warm. They didn't go anywhere this winter because of zika. I was wondering whether they would be "safe" from possible zika bites on a cruise--especially if they did not get off the ship on port days. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks so much.

We got an email prior to sailing about the threat of Zika in the port that were were going to (Cozumel) and I believe we received another note in our stateroom prior to arriving in Cozumel. So, I would say there is still a threat. We brought bug protection with us but never had to use it.

Not sure if this has ever been addressed on this forum before. Sorry if it has. We are expecting yet another snowstorm tomorrow and are just soooooo fed up with winter.....

Has anyone addressed the whole zika thing when cruising to the Caribbean? My daughter and her husband are trying to expand their family, but are also craving a vacation somewhere warm. They didn't go anywhere this winter because of zika. I was wondering whether they would be "safe" from possible zika bites on a cruise--especially if they did not get off the ship on port days. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks so much.

Some of the periodic threads on Zika:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2469308

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430297

My daughter same position as yours has cruised 3 times in last year, I have spent 200+ nites all over Caribbean last 3 yrs and we all only out during heat of day never saw mosquito's. Not that they aren't there and we didn't do any deep forest tours, deepest being Tulum Mexico tour. There is a risk. Only they can determine for themselves. She and son in law should use repellent as precaution anyway if go ashore.