Question - Long Beach Debarkation/Flight

tybrkr17

Hello fellow Carnival cruisers!

We arrive back to Long Beach @ 7 AM on the Inspiration. Looking at flights out of LAX (the cheapest option of the airports), we have choice of a 11:30 AM or 5:30 PM flight home.

If there is no major hiccups leaving the ship with customs, etc - I am leaning towards the 11:30 AM flight. Partly because one of my fellow cruisers will be driving to the port, and she will take us to the airport in her personal vehicle so we do not have to wait for a shuttle/taxi or risk any mix up. And if I choose the 5:30 PM flight home, I will not be getting home until MIDNIGHT and I need to be at work the next morning at 6 AM. NOT FUN! LOL! But I do understand picking the later flight for piece of mind, in case there is a major set back and we do not get off the ship at a reasonable time.

If you were in my shoes, which flight would you choose?

And any veteran cruises have any good/bad experiences getting off the ship at Long Beach? Thank you guys so much for the help!

I most definitely would pick the earlier time, however I do know the cruise lines will not let you book a flight too early. Now how early is too early, I do not know my DW is the TA in the family, I just make the money she puts it to good use:D.

As for experience in Long beach our last cruise was out of there, but it was on princess. We had NO issues getting off and through customs. In fact we had to wait hours after getting to the airport, what they projected as at least an 1/2 hr drive because of traffic only took us 10mins:D. Nevertheless if it was the whole 1/2 hr then we still would have been early, but hey we would rather be early then miss the flight. On a closing note this cruise was over the Christmas holidays.

Just got off the Miracle on 3/25 did the self Debark with FTTF and was off the ship by 8:30 and at the airport by 9. We had 2 hours to kill. I couldn't imagine taking the later flight. Although, a lot of people told me "Good Luck! Hope you don't miss your flight", sure anything can happen but, I am a chance taker! So I say go for it!

Just to let you know, we flew out of Long Beach. NOT LAX.

I think I am going to go ahead and do the 11:30 AM flight. It is out of LAX, which takes a little longer than Long Beach, but not by much it looks like. Plus the earlier flight is about 20 dollars cheaper per ticket.

Our Cruise is May 8th-12th. So the 12th will be on a Friday when we get back to Long Beach. I can't imagine it taking us more than 2 1/2 hrs getting off the boat and getting through customs. Then that leaves us an hour to get to LAX if we want to get to the airport by 10:30, an hour before our flight. And since it is a short cruise, we will only have carry on luggage. (We are tight packers!) So we don't have to worry about checked bags.

I most definitely would pick the earlier time, however I do know the cruise lines will not let you book a flight too early. Now how early is too early, I do not know my DW is the TA in the family, I just make the money she puts it to good use:D.

The cruise line doesn't care what time people book flights.

I lived in LA for 10 years. Another thing worth mentioning...the traffic. Are you debarking on a weekday? With the morning rush hour, it will take you longer than you expect. Still though, you should be ok. Kinda pushing it for a weekday though, IMO.

If we are off the ship by 9/9:30 AM - That leaves us about an hour or 90 mins to get to the airport. Even with traffic, I hope it is doable...

Is there any suggestions to try to get off the ship faster? Or at least off by 9ish? We arrive in Long Beach at 7 AM.

Also keep in mind, it's not just road traffic you have to worry about. Sometimes airport traffic is even worse than outside traffic! What airline are you flying?

Delta out of LAX. We will only have carry ons with us too, so no checking bags.

I sailed several times out of Long Beach, though we usually drive. I have been at my car as early as 8-8:30a and as late as 10-10:30a, we almost always do self debark.

My most recent trip in Feb on the Miracle took us FOREVER to get off and we were doing self debark. It was almost 10a by the time we got out of the terminal.

I've been on the Imagination 2x's in the last year and a half and have one good experience and one bad with getting off in a timely manner.

I personally wouldn't do an early flight because I would worry and not want to deal with finding another flight if I missed the earlier one. I also have friends in the area I can spend a few hours with to help pass the time. However, if you go knowing that missing the early flight is at least possibility and you're OK with dealing with that, then save $ and time and go early.

Delta out of LAX. We will only have carry ons with us too, so no checking bags.

Delta is one of the airlines changing terminals. From one side of the horseshoe to the other. Take the later flight and save yourself the headache.

LAX can take no time or three hours to go thru security. It's recommended to be there a good two hours before your flight.

Check out the Long Beach Aquarium, they'll hold your luggage. The free Passport bus will take you there. Take a cab from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums