Tell me about Escape's new "Social Chat" internet package

cruisinQ

Following. I can live without internet but my teens will want their streaks/snapchat fix. They can live without too but if they want to spend their allowance on Social Chat package, I don't mind.

Interested in details. Sailing on Escape Jan 2018.

I am going in a few weeks but I believe it has nothing to do with the app. It is a social media package that allows you to go on facebook, imessage and what's app for exaple. $35 for the week is my understanding

For my upcoming trip (Dawn) I see nothing offered except the usual 100/250min/unlimited internet packages.

Is this "social" package fleetwide ?

If so does anyone have any specifics, I don't do anything Apple, neither Facebook, Snapchat et al.

All I want is simple text only email or perhaps SMS texting to keep in touch with the homefront.

For my upcoming trip (Dawn) I see nothing offered except the usual 100/250min/unlimited internet packages.

If so does anyone have any specifics, I don't do anything Apple, neither Facebook, Snapchat et al.

All I want is simple text only email or perhaps SMS texting to keep in touch with the homefront.

We are sailing on the Jade later the month and do not see any social package offer -- but the same offers you described. We will let you know if we hear anything on board. We like the IM feature and the WhatsApp when we travel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same for us boarding the Escape tomorrow. No social pakg .

The new packages appear to be onboard the Escape and GA, and aren't advertised online.

One passenger is reporting back with the Premium package on Escape this week, and while he seems pretty happy with the service, the speed tests (this is the premium package) look kind of bad to me. (Seems lucky to get above 2-3Mbps.)

The new packages appear to be onboard the Escape and GA, and aren't advertised online.

One passenger is reporting back with the Premium package on Escape this week, and while he seems pretty happy with the service, the speed tests (this is the premium package) look kind of bad to me. (Seems lucky to get above 2-3Mbps.)

Ouch low speed at high price will stay on disconnect mode [emoji4]

This is available on the escape and it will be listed in the daily. I never did see it available online. We sailed in march. The price was $5/day and allowed only messaging on Facebook. Fb messanger, no pics. You can't see anything on regular fb although my fb news feed did refresh at odd times throughout the cruise. The social media chat allows access to Snapchat and allowed me to send a pic in that was but I could not send or receive pics through fb messanger. You can also use apps like whats app for texting as well. I expected more in terms of Facebook but for me it was an easy way to message family back home. My IMessages did not work although the Internet desk told me it should work. I did not purchase I concerige (that's not spelled right lol) for texting but I did use the free version to check my account and look at the daily schedule. Hope that helps.

can i clarify, so you can not scroll through your daily facebook posts? just send messages basically?

This is available on the escape and it will be listed in the daily. I never did see it available online. We sailed in march. The price was $5/day and allowed only messaging on Facebook. Fb messanger, no pics. You can't see anything on regular fb although my fb news feed did refresh at odd times throughout the cruise. The social media chat allows access to Snapchat and allowed me to send a pic in that was but I could not send or receive pics through fb messanger. You can also use apps like whats app for texting as well. I expected more in terms of Facebook but for me it was an easy way to message family back home. My IMessages did not work although the Internet desk told me it should work. I did not purchase I concerige (that's not spelled right lol) for texting but I did use the free version to check my account and look at the daily schedule. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>

Thanks for the info, this is much different than many of the articles I've read on this program. I imagine a lot of people who read those same articles are pretty disappointed when they find out what the program really entails. I think NCL missed the boat on this one.

Only allowing people to use the chat functionality of these social media sites pretty much defeats the purpose IMO. I want to be able to post pictures to Instagram, snapchat, and Facebook and stay up to date on what's going on.. not message people. (n) I think I'll just buy the smallest internet package to check in on my dogs via email while away and try to find free wifi in port.

<p>

Thanks for the info, this is much different than many of the articles I've read on this program. I imagine a lot of people who read those same articles are pretty disappointed when they find out what the program really entails. I think NCL missed the boat on this one.

Only allowing people to use the chat functionality of these social media sites pretty much defeats the purpose IMO. I want to be able to post pictures to Instagram, snapchat, and Facebook and stay up to date on what's going on.. not message people. (n) I think I'll just buy the smallest internet package to check in on my dogs via email while away and try to find free wifi in port.

I don't think they are missing the point. I think they are hitting it perfectly. For those that want full internet service, as you are describing (posting pictures, staying up to date with Facebook posts, etc.) you can purchase the regular wifi package. The point of this smaller package is for those who merely need a less expensive way to stay in contact. It appears it works for that.

• 3 months later...

I bought this on the 7/1 Eacape sailing and it wasn't worth it. I just got it for FB messenger so my family could get a hold of us in case anything happened with the kids, but it was VERY hit or miss. I ended up not being able to use it for about 4 days and got a refund for those days.

It is NOT FB/IG etc, just chatting - FB messenger, whatsapp, etc. No iMessage, no FaceTime, no Facebook. Strictly chatting apps and even then no pictures or videos and the service for chat text was very spotty IME.

• 1 month later...
I bought this on the 7/1 Eacape sailing and it wasn't worth it. I just got it for FB messenger so my family could get a hold of us in case anything happened with the kids, but it was VERY hit or miss. I ended up not being able to use it for about 4 days and got a refund for those days. It is NOT FB/IG etc, just chatting - FB messenger, whatsapp, etc. No iMessage, no FaceTime, no Facebook. Strictly chatting apps and even then no pictures or videos and the service for chat text was very spotty IME.
This is very helpful, thank you. Sounds like this program is really not worth the cost. I think I'll be better off buying internet minutes to keep up with my kids!!

Still no social media packages on most ships in September 2017.

I got a 100 minutes package, and got 30 free cuz it wasn't my first cruise. That was a nice perk. They apparently give 30 free minutes on whatever package if you're a Latitude member.

Internet was okay in most spots except hit and miss in the stateroom. Just gotta make sure you disconnect correctly cuz one night in the room, it wasn't working well and even if I did disconnect, it used up all my minutes and even charged me extra. I was able to get my minutes back and they credited the fee they charged for it.

Still very pricy for internet but it is what it is.

Carnival has had a Facebook package on all of their ships since December of last year. $5 per day and you could read and post to facebook and use the facebook messenger function. I purchased it for the last sea day of the cruise and used it. In port i used free wifi on occasion. I am not interested in checking email or surfing the internet on a cruise but it was nice to 'check-in' occasionally.

Do I understand correctly that there is a fee for iconcierge? Or can you use it like Carnival's app - free to look at the ship map, activities, menu and your account fee for using the chat function?

Good to know about Carnival. Did that 5$ per day offered access to other chatting app? Way better deal than what NCL offered for sure.

NCL has an app where you can see your bill and book excursions, but can't see the menus and you cannot message other passengers. If you want to do so, you need to pay extra.

When you buy an internet package on board, they charge a 4$ initial fee too which can be avoided if you book in advance, but then you wouldn't get your free minutes if you're a Latitude member.

I bought and used the "social chat" package on Escape a couple of weeks ago.

1) It isn't available for pre-sale online. It has to be purchased onboard. Thankfully it did not charge the $3.95 activation fee for this package.

2) Most Importantly it does not include Facebook browsing. It is for chatting only. Apple iMessage, Facebook Messenger and a few others will work but you cannot send photos at all. That being said, I was able to sneak a couple of photos through and Facebook did update a few times during the week but those were glitches, nothing to be counted upon.

3) As of right now it is only being piloted on Escape and Getaway to my knowledge.

That being said, considering I sailed solo, I felt it was a good value to keep in touch. Others may disagree. If you don't have the need to communicate with anyone back home you could always look into iConcierge for $9.95 to text and call others on the ship.