Booze in carry-on or checked ?

My sis-in-law recently (3 weeks ago) tried bringing on a bottle of wine in her carryon becasue she had absolutely no problems doing with w/3 bottles of rum while on RCI Advent. of the seas out of San Juan just this past october. This time was on NCL Sun out of Miami and boy did they jump on that, make her go over to another table and fill out cabin information....told her she could come to a particular place on the ship morning of debarkation and pick up her wine then but not a minute before. She was pretty unhappy with NCL (she already had problems with them....this was the icing on the cake) and unfortunately they come out very poorly when she compares them to RCI, which she does often. Just our recent experiences bringing liquor/wine on board.

Next cruise, hope Carnival isn't reading this, I'll be going down the day before embarkation. I'll be looking for a liquor store to get some wine and it will find it's way into the checked bags. Yes bubble wrap will be the key. I'll also bring 1 bottle each in our carry on.

I was on NCL Spirit in October out of San Francisco. In my carry on I had 1 bottle of wine. I was told I had to pay $15 upfront or they would keep the bottle until the end of the cruise. My husband also had 1 bottle in his carry on. His also was found. A friend of mine returned today from Princess Dawn. He boarded in San Francisco with 3 bottles of wine. No problem. I have been on 10 cruises since 9/11. NCL was the only cruise line in which I was stopped. Celebrity, Holland and Princess are the other lines I have been on. Was I just lucky?

If you want to bring alcohol on board on NCL cruises you have to put it in your checked bags in other bottles than it came in. If you bring wine on board you have to be ready to pay the $15.00 corkage. We saw many people loose their bottles when boarding the star. Upon return from a port my DH had a pint in his front short pocket, he had no problem. If its in your bag that goes though xray chances are they will take it.

Just remember other bottles!

We always enjoy looking for local wines and/or local liquors in the various ports of call with the view of sharing them with our cruisemates. We have never had any problem in bringing bottles onboard - including NCL (even though our last cruise with NCL was several years ago). Have the cruiselines tightened their policies of late? We've had crewmembers suggest wines to look for and applaud (or not) our choices. Of late we've been on Celebrity and have had positive experiences - whether or not we carried the wines to the dining room and paid the corkage fee or enjoyed them in the cabin. (Ahh to encounter Carlos, the ultimate room steward on Constellation, once again - he was, all by himself, a highlight of our cruise!!!) I've never noticed that our tendency to bring a few bottles of wine onboard during the course of our trip had any effect upon our "bar" bill at the end of the cruise.

We have never had any problem in bringing bottles onboard - including NCL (even though our last cruise with NCL was several years ago). Have the cruiselines tightened their policies of late?

I believe this has most certainly changed on NCL. I say this because of my friends experience, as well as from *many* threads I've followed here on the boards.

• 2 weeks later...
Next cruise, hope Carnival isn't reading this, I'll be going down the day before embarkation. I'll be looking for a liquor store to get some wine and it will find it's way into the checked bags. Yes bubble wrap will be the key. I'll also bring 1 bottle each in our carry on.

I read somewhere that you were NOT allowed to bring even 1 bottle of wine aboard.

Then I read that you can, if you pay a corking fee...

I will be on Carnival in May.... Can we each bring a bottle in our carry on?

I read somewhere that you were NOT allowed to bring even 1 bottle of wine aboard.

Then I read that you can, if you pay a corking fee...

I will be on Carnival in May.... Can we each bring a bottle in our carry on?

Carnival allows wine to be taken aboard. If opened in the dining room, they will charge a corkage fee.

We took two bottles on our last cruise. One bottle was opened in our cabin while we dressed for dinner. The rest of the bottle was taken into the dining room to be consumed during dinner and we weren't charged a corkage fee.

D.

Okay here's the low down...

A large group of hypothetical friends may or may not have gone on an RCL cruise to the Mexican Riviera in December. We may have been mostly college students with very little money and with high aspirations for vigilant inebriation.

In summary, we wanted to drink a lot but had no money. Paying for the cruise, transfers, and basic shore excursions alone was a heavy burden to bare, so the idea of spending $7 bucks a drink times 10-15 drinks a day times seven days ($500 -$600) was simply out of the question.

And so we, hypothetically, smuggled. We heard they were craking down, and not even plastic bottles were making it through, but we were determined

Each person contributed 20-30 bucks and the game was on. All of us carried water bottles in our carry-ons, 500mL or 1L, of various brand names. One third were filled to the brim with Vodka, with the caps super glued back to the safety ring. Another third carried partially filled bottles and acted as if they were drinking them waiting in line. Another third carried straight water and formed our front line, in case they wanted to check out the water.

In addition we each carried a bottle of Gold colored listerine. A family size bottle can actually carry an entire handle (extra large bottle) of dark rum or whiskey. Some stored it in their carry on, some in their checked bag, some in both. Always in a plastic bag with a tooth brush and tooth paste.

The real trick was slowly and carefully pulling off the plastic seal without breaking it. This was accomplished by slowly turning it back and forth while pulling up gently. Then emptying the bottle rinsing thoroughly (no soap!!!!) filling with desired liquor, and putting the seal back on. Then hitting it with a hair dryer to shrink it down to shape again.

Again do not use soap to rinse the bottles, nor should you attempt this with shampoo bottles, lotion bottles, or even bulk contact solution bottles. While a few of the rum had a very faint listerine taste, it was unnoticable when mixed and vastly more palatable than the soapy taste from the shampoo bottle and those bottles rinsed out with soap.

Hypothetically mind you.

We were hoping for a fifty percent success rate, but were shocked when everything made it through. Though one of the water bottles was checked... luckily it was a decoy.

The room attendants seemed to know the score, but couldn't care less. It wasn't there job to search you for booze. In fact our room attendant always made sure we had plenty of glasses and after waking up late after a rough night and finding him in the hall he commented with a smile "Too much mouth wash?"

All in all I think the sneakiness of it all made for a better trip... and to those worrying about the poor cruise line, know that we all spent several hundred dollars still on drinks and activities. Those damn miami vices are just too good to pass up.

Hope this is of help to you poor bastards out there that can't afford a $1,000 bar tab at the end of the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Jan I brought a soft sided wheeled cooler filled w/ beer I had bubble wrapped. (Carnival Miracle) Put a luggage strap around it and checked it through. I had zip locked it also. No problems at all. Gave my cabin steward 20 bucks and he kept it cold all week. Planning on doing it again this upcoming Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

A large group of hypothetical friends may or may not have gone on an RCL cruise to the Mexican Riviera in December. We may have been mostly college students with very little money and with high aspirations for vigilant inebriation.

In summary, we wanted to drink a lot but had no money. Paying for the cruise, transfers, and basic shore excursions alone was a heavy burden to bare, so the idea of spending $7 bucks a drink times 10-15 drinks a day times seven days ($500 -$600) was simply out of the question.

And so we, hypothetically, smuggled. We heard they were craking down, and not even plastic bottles were making it through, but we were determined

Each person contributed 20-30 bucks and the game was on. All of us carried water bottles in our carry-ons, 500mL or 1L, of various brand names. One third were filled to the brim with Vodka, with the caps super glued back to the safety ring. Another third carried partially filled bottles and acted as if they were drinking them waiting in line. Another third carried straight water and formed our front line, in case they wanted to check out the water.

In addition we each carried a bottle of Gold colored listerine. A family size bottle can actually carry an entire handle (extra large bottle) of dark rum or whiskey. Some stored it in their carry on, some in their checked bag, some in both. Always in a plastic bag with a tooth brush and tooth paste.

The real trick was slowly and carefully pulling off the plastic seal without breaking it. This was accomplished by slowly turning it back and forth while pulling up gently. Then emptying the bottle rinsing thoroughly (no soap!!!!) filling with desired liquor, and putting the seal back on. Then hitting it with a hair dryer to shrink it down to shape again.

Again do not use soap to rinse the bottles, nor should you attempt this with shampoo bottles, lotion bottles, or even bulk contact solution bottles. While a few of the rum had a very faint listerine taste, it was unnoticable when mixed and vastly more palatable than the soapy taste from the shampoo bottle and those bottles rinsed out with soap.

Hypothetically mind you.

We were hoping for a fifty percent success rate, but were shocked when everything made it through. Though one of the water bottles was checked... luckily it was a decoy.

The room attendants seemed to know the score, but couldn't care less. It wasn't there job to search you for booze. In fact our room attendant always made sure we had plenty of glasses and after waking up late after a rough night and finding him in the hall he commented with a smile "Too much mouth wash?"

All in all I think the sneakiness of it all made for a better trip... and to those worrying about the poor cruise line, know that we all spent several hundred dollars still on drinks and activities. Those damn miami vices are just too good to pass up.

Hope this is of help to you poor bastards out there that can't afford a $1,000 bar tab at the end of the trip.

I want to travel with you & yours!!!

Hypothetically mind you.

You are hypothetically hilarious!!! What a great story! I LOVE IT.

Good job. :D

Brenda

We are sooooo ready for our cruise. I have all of my bottles lined up & ready to go. Listerine bottles (they are going to think I'm really into tooth care), contact solution bottles, even a Tums bottle!

We will be on Carnival's Liberty. Question: Do you think a bottle of Sangria, legal as per Carnival's Rules & Regulations, would be a signal to the liquor police that they should further search my bags?

I would rather forego the sangria if it will cause the loss of my other goodies.

Thanks!

Why is everbody so worried about sneeking booze on the ship? Can't you just get a bottle of liquor delivered to your room? It can't be that much more expensive than buying it on land. Any comments?

Last I checked it was about double, at minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

i always carry-on at least 2 bottles of my favorite wine. then in my checked bag i have ( packed very well in leak proof wrapping ), a box of wine and a 12 pack of diet pepsi. i also pre-pay through carnival gift and services bottles of wine to have at dinner. they are already paid for when i board. i have never had any problems getting my carry-on through the check in. but i have not tryied to sneak on any hard liquour. i would be the unlucky one to be searched and have it taken away. im not a big foo-foo drinker so it is not a hard-ship for me to put one or two on my sail and sighn. as long as i have my wine i am happy.

Archived