HAL vs. P&O standard of cuisine.

Cahpek

Can folks who have cruised on P&O and HAL, tell us if the cuisine (especially in the buffet) on Holland America better than the former? We realise they are both brands owned by Carnival, so in a way, they are "sister" companies.

On our last cruise, on the P&O Ventura, the quality of the cuisine was generally mediocre, especially in their buffet. Their (buffet) food was somewhat "samey". There were even times in the buffet where they food was so poor, we took them, tasted it, and could not bear to eat it! It was not just one or two items that was below expectations but a list of them. Generally, we felt the buffet on the Ventura reminded us of a buffet in a 3-star Spanish hotel! Their MDR was better, with sometimes good dishes, but their standard of cuisine was somewhat inconsitent. So much so, the quality of cooking, or lack of it, was one of the favorite discussions amongst passengers on board. (For more details, please look for the discussions under P&O on the Ventura). Needless to say, that disappointment somewhat spoilt our experience of a 14 day cruise.

All we know so far about HAL, is they have a free soft ice-cream machine with different flavoured everyday (is that correct?)and that in their HAL buffet, the staff serve you for hygiene reasons. However, we do not know if the buffet on the Koningsdam is any better than the P&O Ventura (hopefully, it won't be even worse! gulp!!). We are keen on desserts, but only if they are good.

We have just booked a 14-day cruise with the Koningsdam, our first time with HAL. We do hope that the cuisine will be better than our last cruise on the P&O Ventura. If anyone have experience of the two cruise companies, and in particular between P&O Ventura and HAL Koningsdam, perhaps you can shine some light on that for us as to the differences between their cuisine standards?

Thank you.

Edited by Cahpek

I know you are asking for comparison but we have not been on P&O. However, we have been on Koningsdam and while certainly not our favorite HAL ship, they have the best buffet we have seen on HAL.

"Best" how? Both in the set up and the food quality. Also don't overlook the Dive-Inn by the pool and the deli upstairs by the pool.

I think it is safe to say you will be pleased with the food on HAL.

Enjoy your 14 night cruise!

In 2016,I sailed 14 nights on Nieuw Amsterdam and 10 nights on Aurora. I found the food in the MDRs to be essentially similar with Aurora's food being much more British, of course; for myself I thought the food was very good. I would suggest that the Market Cafe on Koningsdam will offer a greater variety of tasty items as compared with Horizon Court on Aurora. I always found something to eat in the Horizon Court, but I seldom left feeling amazed. Further, I ate at Sindhu and enjoyed the tasting dinner at Glass House aboard Aurora and found that the quality was very good and comparable to specialty dining on Holland America.

Of course, discussions of food are always very subjective. But I would sail with confidence that you will find something enjoyable to eat throughout your cruise. Happy sailing.

I haven`t been on HAL yet, roll on September, but I am hoping for great things. The last two P&O cruises disappointed us. The food was ok but we found the service was slipping quite a bit. I am getting excited about trying HAL. I am interested in your replies.