Help ?-gamma-we Leave Tommorrow

sparky3229

We have the western itnierary on the Victory this Sunday out of Miami. Most likely our ports of call will be changed, right. Where do you think they will send us? I would like to do some last minute homework on these boards tonight for what to do in other ports of call. What have they been doing? St Thomas? Bahamas? Will they send us west??? The Valor already skipped Costa Maya. Mon is our sea day and then Costa Maya Tues.:eek:

Summer, thank you but...NO... I don't think we are going there because of the storm that is brewing. I am wondering where they sent the other cruises at the last minute if they couldn't do the western itinerary. I am thinking possibly St Thomas and Nassau.

We have the western itnierary on the Victory this Sunday out of Miami. Most likely our ports of call will be changed, right. Where do you think they will send us? I would like to do some last minute homework on these boards tonight for what to do in other ports of call. What have they been doing? St Thomas? Bahamas? Will they send us west??? The Valor already skipped Costa Maya. Mon is our sea day and then Costa Maya Tues.:eek:

According to the NHC their current forcast is for Gamma to be off the coast of NC by Tuesday so I don't think it will be an issue as for as Costa Maya goes. It just depends on whether they can get around the storm as it passes over Cuba Sunday night.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/211317.shtml?5day

Summer, thank you but...NO... I don't think we are going there because of the storm that is brewing. I am wondering where they sent the other cruises at the last minute if they couldn't do the western itinerary. I am thinking possibly St Thomas and Nassau.

You would do Eastern I assume.. don't quote me.. but if you cant go west you go east... San Juan.. St. Thomas and St. Maarten.. that is the Victory itin I have for March..

Go where the ship takes you and enjoy your cruise!!:)

We leave on Sunday too out of Port Canavaral. Supposed to go to Nassau and Freeport. Not sure if we want to get on a ship at all while there's a hurricane or tropical storm. Looks like we'd said right through it. Any of you guys sail through a storm before? Is that actually what they do?

Comments here or privately to leschette@aol.com

Linda

Tropical Storm Gamma lashes Honduras

24th storm of season claims first victim, could hit Florida by next week

Updated: 8:50 p.m. ET Nov. 18, 2005

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras - Floods caused by pounding rain killed one person in Honduras and washed out roads, leaving thousands stranded as Tropical Storm Gamma pushed toward the Central American country’s Caribbean coast.

Gamma, a record 24th named storm in an Atlantic hurricane season that has barely paused for breath, hovered 35 miles out to sea from the fishing village of Limon in northern Honduras and was expected to curve toward south Florida early next week.

“The situation is worrying in the north of the country,” said Jose Ramon Salinas, head of Honduras’ emergency services.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

“More than 5,000 people have had to be evacuated and roads and bridges have been damaged or destroyed leaving several cities and towns isolated,” he told Reuters.

A man drowned in La Lima, a banana-growing town in the north of the country, and four others were missing.

Named like its two predecessors, Alpha and Beta, from the Greek alphabet after the official list of 2005 storm names was exhausted, Gamma was 180 miles east-southeast of Belize City, Belize, by 7 p.m. EST, the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said.

Gamma was strengthening slowly but was not expected to reach hurricane strength. The poorly defined storm had top sustained winds of 45 mph and was moving erratically toward the west-northwest at 4 mph.

The storm was expected to produce up to 10 inches of rain in Belize, up to 15 inches on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and 12 inches in parts of Honduras, the hurricane center said.

It predicted Gamma would swing toward the northeast as it neared the coast of Belize and the Yucatan over the weekend before skirting western Cuba and aiming for southern Florida.

Its projected path would follow that of Hurricane Wilma, which left 6.5 million people without electricity in South Florida after coming ashore on the state’s lower Gulf Coast on Oct. 24.

Wilma at one point became the strongest hurricane ever observed in the Atlantic basin in terms of minimum central pressure, before battering Cancun, Mexico, for three days.

Earlier in October, Hurricane Stan killed up to 2,000 people in Central America after flash floods and mudslides washed away whole villages.

Before Gamma was even named - it began in the eastern Carib. around Barbados & Martinique.

We were on the Legend last week and were in sight of Barbados, when the Captain turned us away, as it was too dangerous to dock. We also missed Martinique. St. Kitts and Nassau were substituted. We had some rain, 40mph winds and rough seas - and the thing wasn't even formed:eek: .

Now, it will be rougher, etc. so I hope the Cap. takes you to St. Thomas or that area to stay well away.

Bon Voyage !! MaryAnn

You'll be fine - they get everyone so riled up about these storms (they certainly are terrible, but the news makes them seem like w'ere all living in dire conditons in Florida - not even close! And where I live, we went through 3 last year. and a bit of Wilam this year! It wasn't fun, but everything is back to normal and it was more a "hassle" than feeling like there was danger to our lives (driving to the grocery store, etc. is still by far the most dangerous things Americans do - the statisitc simply don't lie). (And I'd still never move back up north!

They will steer you clear of any dnger. It may be a bit rough, etc., but you should be fine.

Archived