Cruisetour Help

debg214

I know it has been said over and over this is a personal choice based on your preferences but I just can't make the final decision. It will be me and my 13 year old son traveling. I have narrowed down the cruisetours with Royal to three.

5 - Pros/differences. Night in Alyeska. Only one rail segment. No Fairbanks. Includes sea life center.

7 - pros/differences. Night in Seward.

8 - pros/differences - 3 rail segments.

So here is my real question, is Fairbanks a must see. I feel like I may regret taking this trip and skipping Fairbanks. Would you pick Fairbanks over Alyeska?

Thank you in advance for your input and help!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

it's impossible to say without seeing the whole itinerary. Post links or cut and paste the itineraries. Look at the travel times for each; do you spend your day getting from one place to the next? do you have time to do anything when you reach your destination? what tour is included at Denali? (You need 2 nites there in order to get into the park for the scenery and wildlife.)

Without knowing any details I'd choose Alyeska over Fairbanks. Only because there are trails and the tram at Alyeska (and a pool) so altho you can't get to nearby attractions without a car, at least there are things for your son to do. Whereas in Fairbanks you need a rental car or taxi to get to anything. OTOH, with a car, you can easily spend a few days in Fairbanks. So .... the answer is in the details.

p.s. no chance you would consider DIY? Rental car on 2 lane hwys or travel by train and/or bus. I just wonder about a 13yr old boy stuck on a bus or train with 60 and 70 yr olds, luggage out by 6 or 7am every morning. I'm 65 and couldnt' handle it. :>)

Edited by mapleleaves

We chose the pre-trip that had the overnight in Seward before boarding. I didn't like the thought of being on a bus for several hours and being exhausted for our first day on the ship!

So here is my real question, is Fairbanks a must see. I feel like I may regret taking this trip and skipping Fairbanks. Would you pick Fairbanks over Alyeska?

I don't consider Fairbanks a must-see. I considered going there, but when I looked into it I didn't see anything that drew me to the area. How about you? Do you see something that you really want to do or see there? Remember everything is spread out in Alaska. Do you have a convincing reason to travel all that way? Only you know the answer.

it's impossible to say without seeing the whole itinerary. Post links or cut and paste the itineraries. Look at the travel times for each; do you spend your day getting from one place to the next? do you have time to do anything when you reach your destination? what tour is included at Denali? (You need 2 nites there in order to get into the park for the scenery and wildlife.)

Without knowing any details I'd choose Alyeska over Fairbanks. Only because there are trails and the tram at Alyeska (and a pool) so altho you can't get to nearby attractions without a car, at least there are things for your son to do. Whereas in Fairbanks you need a rental car or taxi to get to anything. OTOH, with a car, you can easily spend a few days in Fairbanks. So .... the answer is in the details.

p.s. no chance you would consider DIY? Rental car on 2 lane hwys or travel by train and/or bus. I just wonder about a 13yr old boy stuck on a bus or train with 60 and 70 yr olds, luggage out by 6 or 7am every morning. I'm 65 and couldnt' handle it. :>)

I second the vote for Alyeska. It is a beautiful resort/hotel. I know you don't go to AK for the hotels, but it was very nice to spend at least one night at a really nice place. (other lodgings on our trip were not necessarily luxurious - but certainly clean and adequate). At Alyeska, there are also very good hiking trails - you can to as far or a little as you want on the trails. The Tram and beautiful indoor pool were very nice.

On our cruise tour there were a lot of teens (maybe 6 or 8 out of the 50 people) - and they appeared to be having a really good time. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 13 year old on a cruise tour coach. If it is just you and your 13YO, then you would be the only driver on a DIY and the drives are long. Just something to consider.

Have fun......