Bocuare Birdwatching tour?

Marie213

• 1 month later...

We are back from doing the birdwatching tour at Bocuare in March. We thought it was wonderful! The weather was cloudy, not too hot. Bocuare is a new place and I think that's why it was hard to find any information about it on the web. We had 37 in our group with 2 guides from Asuaire Company. Once we got there, they divided us into 2 groups - serious birders and those with an interest in birds and plants. We went with the birders. We saw at least 30 different kinds of birds that we had never seen. Santos, a local who lives on the reservation, assisted Dennis, our guide. Santos knew where the bird nests were and where to spot the birds. We saw 2 hummingbird nests up close with the little babies inside. Dennis had a spotting scope that he carried on the hikes and it was amazing how close up the birds looked through the scope! We saw a toucan, tanagers, and many other colorful birds. We also saw several poisonous frogs and lizards in trees. The lunch was delicious, even for us as vegetarians. The waitresses did some dances while we ate. There was a very small souvenior store. I did buy some Britt coffee for $7 a bag there. They also showed up how to squeeze sugar cane into juice. It was a very interesting tour! The roads we went on were full of potholes. The bus had to slow down quite a bit to go through them. It was fun to see banana plantations and other forested areas that we drove through. I loved Costa Rica's emphasis on doing eco-tours and keeping the environment wild.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but if any of you guys who have done this tour are still around - can you elaborate on how lunch is served? We want to do this tour but my DH really doesn't like beans and rice - he can't even stand to have beans on his plate or he gets queasy. (Ah - the joys of living with a picky eater!) Is lunch "buffet style" where he could pick and choose or is it a plated meal? He is also worried that he will offend the hosts if he does not eat beans and rice.

Any advice welcome :D . I think we'd really love the overall tour but Dh is afraid to book because he is worried about lunch.:rolleyes:

Vacruiser,

Lunch shouldn't be a problem for your husband. When we went, there were about 28 of us sitting at a lot of different tables under a pavilion. Lunch was brought to us on plates by some girls in native costumes. We asked for plates without the chicken and they brought it to us. It wasn't an awkward situation at all. Tell your husband to look at the other plates as they are served and request the plate how he would like it. I hope you go and have fun seeing the birds!

Archived