Snorkeling at Half Moon Cay- Experienced Snorkelers / Divers.

Skysurfr

If you are EXPERIENCED and have your own gear, you can walk to the far end of the beach and find some nice water along the rock shore. Enter at the last area of sand you come to without doing any climbing. Swim along the rocky shore.

This is the opposite end of the beach from where the tenders drop off. Facing the water.... go to the right and just keep walking. It's also very peaceful at the far end. 15 minutes walk. Bring water etc. There are no facilities.

This is for EXPERIENCED snorkelers who are comfortable on their own and can be responsible for themselves.

We had a dive flag and got pretty close to the end of the point. We were chased back by the Lifeguard Patrol boat, in a friendly way.

We had flat water and vis was unlimited. Pay attention to current and tide.

Again...AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I'd go again if I returned.

I snorkeled there as well, and it was interesting. As you say, it's best just for people who are experienced and quite strong swimmers, as there are some currents by the rocks. I was down there on my own, which isn't a good idea to be honest, but the person I was travelling with does not swim. I was a little startled by a large barracuda that swam straight at me!

Michael,

Why were you chased back by the lifeguard patrol boat? Is the area marked as a "No Snorkeling Area"? I usually bring my own mask and snorkel and water shoes, but no fins and prefer to be by myself in an out of the way place. So I would probably do just what you did.

We swam to the most distant sand cove and stood up. Im guessing they watch for cruise guest who might get in trouble at this spot. Its not marked "no swimming".. so Im guessing they were just playing it safe. We actually had a "plan" to go no further than we went and then turn around. Perhaps we looked like we were going to go around the point out into open water.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app