Accommodations in or near Venice

terri910

Booked on a cruise from Venice to Rome at the end of October, 2018. We've never been to Venice before, and I am beginning my research on possible accommodations for a couple of nights before our cruise (which will depart on the last Sunday of October, so the stays would be on a Friday and Saturday night, which I assume might make a difference in pricing).

We are going to be at least two couples traveling together. We are open to either a basic, budget-minded hotel, or even an AirBnB place that has at least two bedrooms and two bathrooms. AirBnb is easy enough to find out about, and while I think that anything in the $100/couple/night is a good price, if there is something less expensive it would be even better! ;)

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the pros and cons of staying outside of Venice itself. AirBnb did have a place that had a much better price, but I don't know anything about the area around Parco San Giuliano. Is it a decent area? Would getting to Venice each day from there be a huge pain in the behind?

I have heard that we can purchase vaporetto passes for, say, a two- or three-day period (not unlike BCN cards for unlimited travel in Barcelona, etc.). Would those work in getting us from the mainland to Venice as well as travel around the canals in Venice?

Thanks in advance for any advice previous visitors (and bargain hunters!) can give!

We will be in Venice March 2018, post cruise. I have booked our hotel on Venice isle. When I travel I prefer to stay in the middle of the city. I want to be able to walk around and be able to enjoy the city at night.

I know it's more expensive but we splurge on vacation. My sister stayed in an apartment near San Marcos, so that my be an option for you. It was not an air bnb.

My daughter uses Air BNB, with success. Last year about 3 weeks prior to her arriving in Seattle, the owner emailed her to advise that the residence was not available. She had to scramble and was lucky to find another place.

I would be inclined to spend $20-$40 a night more to stay on the isle of Venice itself, but this is going to be a huge vacation to begin with (we are talking 4 legs of back-to-back-to-back-to-back cruises for a total of something like 47 days). We look to squeeze absolutely every drop of value out of every nickel. *LOL*

We just need to know what all of our options are, with all the pros and cons. It's how we determine the most value for our money. It isn't always about the least expensive, it's about getting the experience we want at the best price, and that means weighing our priorities.

I'm right there with you regarding walking in Venice at night....so I would definitely need to know if there was a cut-off time for any transportation from Venice back to the mainland!!

I thought I read something about a tram from the mainland to the isle....I'm hoping to find out more about that, too!

I think Mestre is as far away as i would want. On a pre cruise nite we stayed halfway between the airport and venice, which was fine for that particular trip, but i wouldnt want to be commuting like that every day.

If you're staying for 3 nites, there are plenty of reasonably priced apts in venice. Use tripadvisor or HomeAway.

(2 bathrooms might be harder to find)

I think Mestre is as far away as i would want. On a pre cruise nite we stayed halfway between the airport and venice, which was fine for that particular trip, but i wouldnt want to be commuting like that every day.

If you're staying for 3 nites, there are plenty of reasonably priced apts in venice. Use tripadvisor or HomeAway.

(2 bathrooms might be harder to find)

Yeah, that 2nd bathroom certainly ups the expense. But 4 adults getting showered and read each morning, with just one bathroom....yikes. We did an AirBnb in Barcelona with 2 other couples....6 adults with 2 bathrooms was bad enough!

The AirBnb place on the mainland is around Mestre....

When you stayed halfway between the airport and Venice...how did you get to Venice? Is it only by water or is there a tram?

On that trip we stayed at the Hotel Ducale in Favro Veneto. Used the local bus from the airport to the hotel, and again the next morning when we went to Venice.

The bus ride was about 15 minutes but we were only going to Piazzale Roma which is the last point of land travel in Venice .... basically a big parking lot. If you were sightseeing you would walk 2-3 blocks from PRoma to the Grand Canal and catch a water bus to begin your touring, or you could start walking.....

We've stayed at a couple of apts owned by the Pensione Guerrato folks. Not far from the Rialto Bridge so easy access to everything. 2 of their apts have 2 baths (1 with a washing machine) but might be beyond your budget. When we stayed at the larger apt we were 4 adults and a 1 yr old .... when anyone needed a rest, or a snack or a break (or a bathroom) it was SOOOO nice to be 5 minutes away from home.

Helpful site for all things Venice:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks to everyone that has posted information and advice!! Every little bit helps us make the best decision!

I decided to switch up the search parameters for AirBnb for Venice, to 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths....that has brought up at least a couple more options on the isle itself.

Has anyone used one of the water transportation "passes"? I don't really know the difference between vaporetto, water taxi and gondolas, yet! And I don't know if the passes I've heard of only cover one form of transport.

The tram you're thinking of is the PEOPLE MOVER. It's not a way to get around Venice.

It is a very short monorail (maybe a mile) with 3 stops; it takes people from Piazzale Roma to the pier or to Tronchetto parking lot.

When you leave the Mestre on the mainland you cross a causeway of about 3-4 miles. After the causeway you'll see Tronchetto which is an island for parking, then you see the exit to the pier and then you're in piazzale Roma.

If you stay on the mainland you'll probably access Venice by bus or train. The St Lucia train station is just across the Grand Canal from PRoma. I think the timing would be a concern .... finding the last bus or train to get me home at night.

This map will help you:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4375915,12.312617,2620m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

Edited by mapleleaves

In the link I posted earlier look under the Transportation section and you'll find anything you need for passes, buses, water buses, gondolas, etc

The apts we used: http://hotelguerrato.com/en/#appartamenti

The Rialto area is great for sightseeing .... 2 minute walk to the Grand Canal, and 7-8 minutes to St Marks.