Experience getting to St. John

DisneyDatknee

Thanks for all the help on getting to Saint John. We docked in Havensight on the Eurodam last week. I thought it was crazy Holland was charging $50 to go for just 4 hours, but here's how I got there.

We were the only ship docked with the Oasis OTS further West in Crown Bay. Havensight was a ghost town. Hardly any shops were open and there was no traffic at all. Taxi to Red Hooke was $10 a person. Ferry over was $14 a person roundtrip ($7 one way if you want to ditch the ship ;)). Ferry is cash only. We had enough to cover the ferry in cash, but there was an ATM if you needed it. I don't know how much they were charging, but we did get cash in Saint John. Use Scotiabank as the atm fee was $5 compared to $6 at Banco Populare. They are right next to each other, but a dollar's a dollar.

We planned to rent snorkels at "Low-Key Watersports", but ditched the idea last minute and just decided to use our swim goggles. Since really there was only two cruise ships in port, Saint John was not busy. We met some that were on the Oasis, but it was not crowded at all. We went to Trunk Bay and they charged a $5 admission fee if you are over 16. Coincidentally, the taxi to Trunk Bay was $5 a person (sorry, no discount on the kiddos). If you have a national park pass, the admission fee was half. They made sure that we were aware that the snorkel trail was closed due to strong waves and no refunds would be given. laughed when I went out there to see the waves. Yes, there was an occasional colossal wave that kids would all scream and run out to the wave to be smashed into the sand, but it was fine once you were just out of the shore. Beach was terrific. There's chair rentals which a basic one was $10 with a $25 deposit. Snack bar and a bar was also available at high prices. Everything on Saint John is significantly more than on Saint Thomas. Taxi back was $5 a person. We didn't eat lunch and planned for it by eating a big breakfast. We had a smoothie at a shop across the street before we got on the ferry back. Taxi from Red Hooke was again $10 a person.

$10 Taxi to Red Hooke

$14 Ferry Ticket

$5 Taxi to Trunk Bay

$5 Admission to Trunk Bay (Unless under 16)

$5 Taxi to Cruz Bay

$10 Taxi back to Havensight

Total: $49 a person (excluding gratuities at your discretion).

So we didn't save any money at all, but we gained the freedom of time in Saint John. :) I don't know what Saint Thomas is like to say is it worth the money to Saint John, but we truly loved Trunk Bay and even the taxi ride was beautiful!

Happy Cruising!

Thanks for all the help on getting to Saint John. We docked in Havensight on the Eurodam last week. I thought it was crazy Holland was charging $50 to go for just 4 hours, but here's how I got there.

We were the only ship docked with the Oasis OTS further West in Crown Bay. Havensight was a ghost town. Hardly any shops were open and there was no traffic at all. Taxi to Red Hooke was $10 a person. Ferry over was $14 a person roundtrip ($7 one way if you want to ditch the ship ;)). Ferry is cash only. We had enough to cover the ferry in cash, but there was an ATM if you needed it. I don't know how much they were charging, but we did get cash in Saint John. Use Scotiabank as the atm fee was $5 compared to $6 at Banco Populare. They are right next to each other, but a dollar's a dollar.

We planned to rent snorkels at "Low-Key Watersports", but ditched the idea last minute and just decided to use our swim goggles. Since really there was only two cruise ships in port, Saint John was not busy. We met some that were on the Oasis, but it was not crowded at all. We went to Trunk Bay and they charged a $5 admission fee if you are over 16. Coincidentally, the taxi to Trunk Bay was $5 a person (sorry, no discount on the kiddos). If you have a national park pass, the admission fee was half. They made sure that we were aware that the snorkel trail was closed due to strong waves and no refunds would be given. laughed when I went out there to see the waves. Yes, there was an occasional colossal wave that kids would all scream and run out to the wave to be smashed into the sand, but it was fine once you were just out of the shore. Beach was terrific. There's chair rentals which a basic one was $10 with a $25 deposit. Snack bar and a bar was also available at high prices. Everything on Saint John is significantly more than on Saint Thomas. Taxi back was $5 a person. We didn't eat lunch and planned for it by eating a big breakfast. We had a smoothie at a shop across the street before we got on the ferry back. Taxi from Red Hooke was again $10 a person.

$10 Taxi to Red Hooke

$14 Ferry Ticket

$5 Taxi to Trunk Bay

$5 Admission to Trunk Bay (Unless under 16)

$5 Taxi to Cruz Bay

$10 Taxi back to Havensight

Total: $49 a person (excluding gratuities at your discretion).

So we didn't save any money at all, but we gained the freedom of time in Saint John. :) I don't know what Saint Thomas is like to say is it worth the money to Saint John, but we truly loved Trunk Bay and even the taxi ride was beautiful!

Happy Cruising!

So how much actual time did you have at Trunk Bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So how much actual time did you have at Trunk Bay?

We were in port from 8 to 5, so we got to Trunk Bay with our feet in the water at 10. We left at 12, but we could have stayed longer. We just wanted to look around and do a little shopping in Saint Thomas. Our taxi driver to Red Hooke told us the last ferry she would recommend would be 3:00 PM, so we could have stayed for another 2 hours really. We didn't risk it as we had a scare in Grand Cayman with missing the tender by just a couple of minutes, but it's up to you!

We were in port from 8 to 5, so we got to Trunk Bay with our feet in the water at 10. We left at 12, but we could have stayed longer. We just wanted to look around and do a little shopping in Saint Thomas. Our taxi driver to Red Hooke told us the last ferry she would recommend would be 3:00 PM, so we could have stayed for another 2 hours really. We didn't risk it as we had a scare in Grand Cayman with missing the tender by just a couple of minutes, but it's up to you!

I booked the RCCL on your own tour so we are sure we'll make it. They told us what ferry to take back so we'll be covered. Even got a discount so it really was probably the same as if we did our own. Only thing is the ferry is from the port not Red Hook:/ Hear it could be choppy!