Question about buying Cigarettes in Miami

spotter27

IN Miami can u buy 2 of the 5 carton cigarettes with out being charged taxes if u have 2 people. I tried in Charleston and we had to wait in line at the end of the cruise and pay extra taxes. It was a 2 hour line. I guess they knew by our sail and sign card.I never had a problem in Miami before just wondering. Please and Thank you

I think they do it by cigarette and not carton. 200 cigarettes is the magic number based on my understanding. Pro tip, you can buy a carton on the ship for consumption then get another to take off the boat with you.

Let me know if you have other questions, I usually can find them if I don't know. That being said, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a cigarette smuggling/tariff fraud thread like some of the other threads do on this topic. Blows my mind that people will rip into posters for smuggling booze or gaming cheers in some way but tax evasion seems to be accepted among the folks in this forum. Not talking about you Spotter, just making an observation.

Thank u, I want to buy 1 5 carton cigarette for me to take off and I 5 carton for my husband to take off. I hope I dont have a problem.If they sell it like that and say tax free . I dont see what they will tax me at the end, thats misleading. I know Charleston was a nightmare and we didnt save money in the end

You and you husband are BOTH entitled to bring 200 standard cigarettes purchased outside of the US into the US duty free. I honestly have no clue why Charleston wasn't good for you, you may have went to the wrong line or not completed your declaration forms correctly. As long as you each stay under that 200 cigarette magic number you will be fine and not required to pay any extra taxes or fees. Think about it in terms of the cigarettes and not the cartons. There is nothing that says you couldn't get 10 packs (of 20 cigarettes) of all different brands and blends.

Thank u, I want to buy 1 5 carton cigarette for me to take off and I 5 carton for my husband to take off. I hope I dont have a problem.If they sell it like that and say tax free . I dont see what they will tax me at the end, thats misleading. I know Charleston was a nightmare and we didnt save money in the end

You may be purchasing it as two units but it still adds up to 10 cartons. That is 8 over the limit you can bring back without paying additional tax.

When DH smoked we always purchased the 5 carton pack we each claimed 1 carton and just brought back the rest. Never had a problem. Same thing with booze i always buy the 4 pack bundle of rum. Even though your only allowed to bring 1 back duty free i always claim 2 and pack the rest never had a problem. I have been in all florida ports , texas, Alabama and Louisana ports never had a problem.