SDP and UBP

bromleypod

The answer can vary depending on where you are booking from. It can also vary depending on what type of accommodation you have.

So, as always, read the Terms and Conditions of each promo you are getting. They are available (obviously) on the NCL websites.

There will be nothing added on top of what you have already paid. What I mean is if there are service charges then they would have already been included in your final payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that's only true if you're booking from the UK, people from the US have to pay gratuities on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that's only true if you're booking from the UK, people from the US have to pay gratuities on top.

What Moby means is no one will have anything to pay on board. If you have your invoice then the total on it is what you'll pay.

The op is from the UK, so the answer is no. No tax/gratuities on top for us Brits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What Moby means is no one will have anything to pay on board. If you have your invoice then the total on it is what you'll pay.

The op is from the UK, so the answer is no. No tax/gratuities on top for us Brits.

Aha I see. True!

Maybe the occasional little bit of port tax though if drinking when docked. :-)

Aha I see. True!

Maybe the occasional little bit of port tax though if drinking when docked. :-)

Yeah, but even that is a bit confusing. I've never noticed it being added and I like to get on early and get tore into the drink [emoji4]

port tax though if drinking when docked. :-)

NCL have just written to tell me that they don't pass this tax on to the customer any more (in the UK at least). Here's what they said:

"Good afternoon,

Trust this email finds you well,

No VAT charged on sales of food and beverage or specialty restaurant cover charges

Best regards,

EU Guest Services"

Sent from my LG-H815 using Forums mobile app

NCL have just written to tell me that they don't pass this tax on to the customer any more (in the UK at least). Here's what they said:

"Good afternoon,

No VAT charged on sales of food and beverage or specialty restaurant cover charges

Best regards,

EU Guest Services"

Where that perhaps may apply to your particular cruise (not sure where you are going) - many ports do have additional sales tax - we paid tax in Spanish waters - and in the USA - Bahamas, etc - We did get them back as we questioned this - but were told - in future - tax applies - although I still cant find it in the T&Cs - For example we are sailing ex Miami and expect we will be charged..

Perhaps I too will send an email to check - who did you contact SamSh?

...many ports do have additional sales tax...

This is absolutely true. In fact this specific cruise is within the EU, and every EU member state is required to collect sales tax.

However, NCL seem to be saying that they will not be passing that tax on to their guests.

No. you did not read what I wrote. Yes for the most part people from the US pay service charge however it is already included and paid for before your cruise and nothing will be added to your bill during the cruise.

No. you did not read what I wrote. Yes for the most part people from the US pay service charge however it is already included and paid for before your cruise and nothing will be added to your bill during the cruise.

Yes I did read what you wrote.

The initial question was a little vague and I was doing my best to answer it, just trying to help!

"Good afternoon,

Best regards,

EU Guest Services"

Ooo okay!! That's good. It has only ever. been a pennies but still, good news :)

We took advantage of the UBP on Getaway in July 2016. We were charged 18% gratutity on top of our basic cruise fare. For 6 of us (and we were paying for the family) this was interesting. We also took advantage of another package and were charged 18% per person. So- althought it was marketed as free-it was not.

I stopped cruising NCL after this cruise as I am tired of losing past wonderful cruise experiences we had in suites until this new CEO came onboard.

I am appalled to see what they have now done with the upcharges for daily gratuities.

When you add up all of these increases, NCL is not worth the money. You can have incredible cruise experiences on other much more upscale ships and not feel like you are being taken advantage of.

I am sorry-I had GREAT cruises on this line-gained Platinum status and will not return unless there are changes. I do not expect that to happen.

We took advantage of the UBP on Getaway in July 2016. We were charged 18% gratutity on top of our basic cruise fare. For 6 of us (and we were paying for the family) this was interesting. We also took advantage of another package and were charged 18% per person. So- althought it was marketed as free-it was not.

I stopped cruising NCL after this cruise as I am tired of losing past wonderful cruise experiences we had in suites until this new CEO came onboard.

I am appalled to see what they have now done with the upcharges for daily gratuities.

When you add up all of these increases, NCL is not worth the money. You can have incredible cruise experiences on other much more upscale ships and not feel like you are being taken advantage of.

I am sorry-I had GREAT cruises on this line-gained Platinum status and will not return unless there are changes. I do not expect that to happen.

So when you add it all up you can get an equal or better cruise elsewhere for less money then NCL? If so then well done and enjoy your new line. (Remember add your bar bill to the cost)

So when you add it all up you can get an equal or better cruise elsewhere for less money then NCL? If so then well done and enjoy your new line. (Remember add your bar bill to the cost)
Maybe MSC's Yacht Club can match or beat NCL's Haven for less? Nobody should feel tied or obligated to one line. That's the beauty of competition. Trying new things is the best way to see which experience is better/best for each person.

I haven't tried the Yacht Club or any part of MSC but I'm booked for Seaside. I'll probably enjoy both the Haven and the Yacht Club (drinks included throughout the ship for YC guests) and will continue to sail both.

Neither line beats the other in everything. Some things are better with NCL Haven, some things are better with MSC Yacht Club.

I contacted NCL for further clarification, they said on my package the 18% gratuity is included . Now I don't know if that's because I booked from the UK (I do think cruises booked from the UK are generally more expensive than from the US so it's been factored in already) or it's because I am staying in the Haven? Either way at least I know I am covered. Thank you to all who replied.

Now I don't know if that's because I booked from the UK (I do think cruises booked from the UK are generally more expensive than from the US so it's been factored in already) or it's because I am staying in the Haven?

It's both.

We don't pay it in the UK on the promo packages, but even in the US you don't pay it if you are in a suite.