First checked bag free with included air?

bisabella

I paid for my cruise, which includes the air arrangements, the first leg of which is on United Airlines, with my United Explorer CC that allows the first checked bag to be free. Looking at my reservation receipt indicates I will have to pay $25.00 for the first checked bag. I contacted O and United and was told that couldn't be changed, since O pays the airline directly. Has anyone come across this situation and been able to have the fee waived?

Barbara

I paid for my cruise, which includes the air arrangements, the first leg of which is on United Airlines, with my United Explorer CC that allows the first checked bag to be free. Looking at my reservation receipt indicates I will have to pay $25.00 for the first checked bag. I contacted O and United and was told that couldn't be changed, since O pays the airline directly. Has anyone come across this situation and been able to have the fee waived?

Barbara

While in the past, the free bag on United was free no matter how the flight was paid for, that has changed and you have to make payment with the Explorer card to get the free first checked bag so strongly doubt you will get that charge waived since the flight was not paid for with the Explorer card.

Sorry about that. Perhaps if you are on a single ticket and the next flight is Business you can get the fee removed but, if all economy, pretty sure you will have to pay for the bag.

It's O's ticket that is assigned to you. O's bulk economy rate doesn't include bags. Try talking to the agents at check in.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe if I have a copy of my CC statement showing payment to O with my Explorer card?

This happened to me even though I used my United card to pay for the cruise with O air. I asked for the free checked bag and was allowed outbound but refused at the gate check on my return flight. I guess it's the luck of the draw when checking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is one reason why NOT to take included air. In addition, you will not get the extra miles that come from paying for a flight with the carrier's credit card, nor will you get any other benefits. The latter might include just-in-case things like medical evacuation or lost-luggage coverage. On a 2-couple trip to cruise from Tahiti, we discovered this at flight check-in. Fortunately, my airline status allowed us to skip the fees plus check the other couple's bags under my name for free. Unfortunately, in the case of Tahiti, we still had to pay the fees for the flight back from Tahiti to LAX.

This is one reason why NOT to take included air. In addition, you will not get the extra miles that come from paying for a flight with the carrier's credit card, nor will you get any other benefits. The latter might include just-in-case things like medical evacuation or lost-luggage coverage. On a 2-couple trip to cruise from Tahiti, we discovered this at flight check-in. Fortunately, my airline status allowed us to skip the fees plus check the other couple's bags under my name for free. Unfortunately, in the case of Tahiti, we still had to pay the fees for the flight back from Tahiti to LAX.

Absolutely. Using Amex platinum now gives 5x points for air while chase preferred gives 2x or 3x points all of which are better than using the united explorer card to pay for your cruise and much more bang for the buck than saving the first bag free fee.

A lot like deciding whether to take the cruise air vs taking the credit and booking the air yourself. Each situation is different one size does not fit all.

Also chase miles easily transferred to united. You could be leaving thousands of dollars and/or miles on the table. You have to analyze each situation and do it best for that situation.

This happened to me even though I used my United card to pay for the cruise with O air. I asked for the free checked bag and was allowed outbound but refused at the gate check on my return flight. I guess it's the luck of the draw when checking in.

Your getting a bulk rate contract fare when you fly, the cheapest there is and besides no free bags, you may not get miles either. Its the 3rd party, O who purchased the ticket...not you eventhough using a UAL card to pay O. If your a premier or better with UAL you get not only free bags but upgrades to Economy plus and earily borading . Moral: book your own flights take the air credit. control the whole process,

The same goes with Hotels if I book say Marriott through Hotels .com or Expedia etc I dont get either upgrade or points. Only if I book direct with Marriott. Same with UAL

Also chase miles easily transferred to united. You could be leaving thousands of dollars and/or miles on the table. You have to analyze each situation and do it best for that situation.

Make that 10's of thousands on the table.... I save between$ 15 to$20,000 in airfare each year by playing my card correctly and using for everything.... last month flew LAX to Zurich and LYON rt, Lufthansa and Swiss, In Business class, RT, and stayed 3 nights in Marriott Lyon on points...total cost $105.00 + a rental car and meals/gas... You dont have to fly to build the miles.. and they never expire as long as you charge $1 a year on the cards Be smart.