RCI's Booking Engine--What is "Hot"

jkrislc

I've noticed every now and then that RCI puts a little "hot" indicator next to certain departure dates. However, I've also been watching the prices on the Legend and even though they've gone up since I've booked, my sailing is now being listed as "hot." Thus, my question is, "What does 'hot' actually mean?" Does it indicate a "hot" price, a "hot" or popular sailing, or something else.

While I'd like to think it's "hot" since I'm sailing on her, I know that's not the case.

Generally I've noticed the "hot" next to so-called good deals, and we've booked a few of them lol, but the prices WERE really good...I think thats what its supposed to be for, but if your cruise went up in price maybe they are just trying to sell it out, thus grabbing peoples attention with the "hot" sticker....sneaky! :rolleyes:

Generally I've noticed the "hot" next to so-called good deals, and we've booked a few of them lol, but the prices WERE really good...I think thats what its supposed to be for, but if your cruise went up in price maybe they are just trying to sell it out, thus grabbing peoples attention with the "hot" sticker....sneaky! :rolleyes:

That's what I'm thinking. I've snagged some last minute deals through RCI, but I've noticed this "hot" thing on the last couple of cruises even after rates have increased.

You're probably right, though. It's an eye grabber like a "sale" sign to help get the cruise fully booked even if the prices aren't as low as they've been.

Kinda like a "blue light" special. They will place the HOT on selective sailings and they discount thouse fairs quite a bit. Thats not to say they still change the rates frequently so be careful and always check back. We have seen a rate quoted be dropped between the time we pulled up the site and placed a call to book. Two seconds later the price was back down again.

Kinda like a "blue light" special. They will place the HOT on selective sailings and they discount thouse fares quite a bit. Thats not to say they still change the rates frequently so be careful and always check back. We have seen a rate quoted be dropped between the time we pulled up the site and placed a call to book. Two seconds later the price was back down again.

Kinda like a "blue light" special. They will place the HOT on selective sailings and they discount thouse fares quite a bit.

I thought that at first as well. However, when I looked at the pricing, the fares had not been discounted at all. The only thing that had changed was the "hot" icon was added.

Keep checking back. If you look at that sailing date, the Hot may only apply to some of the dates, you will see the reduction in rates from one sailing without the HOT to another close date. You would be suprised to see the prices change if you go to price a cruise from time to time on the same sailing. Got us flustered at times. We saw a price one day, procrastinated about it until the next day, went to book and the rate had changed. We called to reserve anyway and while my wife was on the phone, I did several refreshes on the web page and ended up getting the better rate booking online before the wife finished her booking on the phone. We were able to reverse hers and it worked out for us.

I thought that at first as well. However, when I looked at the pricing, the fares had not been discounted at all. The only thing that had changed was the "hot" icon was added.

You're right on the money, jk. I've been watching a January cruise (only one sailing date), and they just added the "Hot" tag to it. The price hasn't changed in about 3-4 weeks. So all they are doing is trying to draw attention to it to sell it out. :-p

Jape

You're right on the money, jk. I've been watching a January cruise (only one sailing date), and they just added the "Hot" tag to it. The price hasn't changed in about 3-4 weeks. So all they are doing is trying to draw attention to it to sell it out. :-p

Jape

I guess it is working. Even though the D1s went up before the "hot" was added, they're all sold out now. Perhaps "hot" is a way to lure unsuspecting cruisers in.

I guess it is working. Even though the D1s went up before the "hot" was added, they're all sold out now. Perhaps "hot" is a way to lure unsuspecting cruisers in.

Too true (and kind of disappointing). Since they posted the "Hot" tag, prices have gone up. :(

Bummer.

Archived