What to do at Isla Margarita??? Seems like a wasted port.

City_Woman

We are thinking that this will be a quazi rest day for us. After reading the boards it looks like our best best is to step off the ship, check out the vendors at the dock and maybe go to the beach. Then, after a very short time on land, get back on the ship and enjoy the quiet time on board.

Is is just me, or is this a boring, uneventful port???

Please help!

Some years ago I spent a week on Margarita Island and I assure you there is a lot to see and to do there:

Some lovely beaches (not near the cruiseship dock).

Interesting historical sites including an interesting fort where Venezuela's national heroine was held prisoner and a lovely church in a pretty little valley

A national park with fantastic views (El Copey)

Good shopping in Porlamar

Widely contrasting scenery from Mangrove swamps to dessert like conditions to almost rain forest conditions.

Of course one does have to make a little effort to enjoy any of this.

We just got back (2 weeks ago) from a stop over on Margarita Island and it truly was a beautful place...great weather...very nice people...and with out a doubt they tried harder and had a warmer welcome than any other port. BUT...it truly was uneventful. I don't know why Princess stops there and only for a few hours. They claim they need to get going to make Aruba on time. I think with only one day at sea (a huge money maker for the ship) they try to do the next best thing and do a half day at sea and make some more money. I am sure the island is a wonderful place, but you really only have a few hours and when we selected this cruise this was not on the agenda and it was changed later. What are you going to do, change your whole cruise because of a small port change (and I do mean small)? Next time I will. PLEASE do not mis-read this and think I'm upset...not one bit! I just don't feel the port was worth the time we were there (or the dollars). I would have rather stopped at a more popular island and done more tourist things. Those of you that are going to the island, will you be disapointed...maybe (I say yes and my wife says maybe), will you have a bad time...no not at all. Be prepared and make the best of it and I'm sure you will have a good time.

Eric

Just another opinion! We loved Isla Margarita! There are local vendors set up and a beach bar that was going strong! There is a little beach at the end and everyone seemed to be having a great time. It was on day 4 of a port intensive cruise and it was a nice change of pace.Everyone that we talked to later on our cruise expressed how much fun they had that day.

I loved the straw market and the local vendors. I collect Nativity sets and found several ( I do mean several!) unique sets to add to my collection.

While DH and I had a great time on the excursion that we chose, we both agreed that we would like to return and next time just chill at the beach.

Please get off the ship and enjoy the local flavor. It it is not your cup of tea, it is not a big deal to get right back on the ship, but give it a chance.

Either way, enjoy your cruise.

When our cruise stopped there my boyfriend and I went kayacking. He promised never to go kayacking with me again however that was due to my lack of experience, not the island. His sister however found some fantastic artwork for good prices. If we were to stop there again I would go for the artwork but that's about it.

I stongly recommend an Island tour with "Crusin-N-Style" when visiting Isla Margarita.

Marcella Tinsman is the contact person, and she has an SUV that will accomodate up to 4 people. This way the tour is more personable, and can be constructed around your preferences.

We opted for the four hour tour and that gave us plenty of time to see the highlights and still get back to the ship for a 1:00 pm sailing on the Golden Princess.

Contact Marcella at crusin-n-style98@yahoo.com, for a quote and to make a reservation.

Just my opinion: we stopped there two years ago on the Galaxy. As we walked off the ship at mid-morning, we were met by a steady stream of passengers heading back to the ship. We soon found out why. The "vendors" were a collection of straw huts, each one sellling the same thing: hideous wooden carvings of fat black women. The other "highlight" was the favorite local souvenier- hand-painted bottle-caps! All around the straw market were emaciated dogs lying around- looked like they hadn't been fed in weeks. The only redeeming feauture was a Murano art glass store. Then we walked down to the "beach". The entire area was covered with some species of ants. We decided not to wait to see if they bit or not. We followed the majority of passengers back to the ship and it was a "sea day" for us.

Now, that was two years ago and I don't know what improvements have been made, if any. All I know is, we're stopping there next week on our Princess cruise, and we're just getting off to visit the Murano store- then back to the ship.

Rob

I was just there last week, had planned for the stop for local shopping, which is the only shopping I'm interested in on a cruise, had a massage on the beach for $30 ( back, shoulder & foot reflexology). Was weary from longer excursions at previous ports, and was glad to have a more relaxing day. The people are sweet-natured; saw only 1 or 2 sleeping dogs at the pier, no ants. I believe the island has tightened up requirements for vendors in the last few years - only gives permits to those who will be there when ship arrives, etc. Plenty of choices in local products - saw beautiful hand-knit children's sweaters, local painted glass, religious icons, hand-rolled cigars (bought two but they haven't been smoked so I can't vouch for quality).

This was one of the reasons, along with Grenada, that I chose this cruise - I'll visit any place once, and like being exposed to different environments.

When we got to Aruba, my sons and I took a taxi to a well-known American brand Hotel and just hung out on the beach for a few hours, as I had seen all that Aruba has to offer physically & culturally and had no need to do that again; sons had never been there and didn't care to see the island.

It's a matter of personal choice - different strokes for different folks.

We also visited Margarita Island last week. Time in port is short and fares to reach whatever there is to see were expensive, IMHO. We stayed near the ship and visited vendors for shopping. There was a nice selection of jewelry and souvenirs--I don't remember anything Hideous--once again, IMHO.

There are stray dogs there so all of you animal lovers take a bag of dog cookies or a snack for them. The few dogs that I encountered were sweet and just in need of some TLC and calories.

Archived