Hatcher Pass??

cpmom

Hi-

A biologist who used to live in Alaska recommended that we drive the route from Palmer to Willow on a side road through Hatcher Pass instead of the Parks Highway. This seems to add about 27 miles to the trip from Anchorage, but the road is not paved in sections according to the Milepost.

Has anyone driven this road? How is it? How much extra time should we allow to do it and is it worth the extra time involved?

We are driving from Anchorage to Talkeetna in a rental car the day we would do this and we are spending the night in Talkeetna.

Thanks for any information that you can give me!

Cathy

Coral Princess 7/16/06

As Wolfie mentions, most rental car agreements do not allow driving this unpaved portion of the Hatcher Pass. IF you do the drive- allow hours, many many stops are bound to attract your interest.

I would suggest you consider an independent who allows you to drive this, is what I did before any of it was paved. My auto insurance also did not cover any unpaved roads if the rental agreement banned it.

Archived