Rainy weather

famreynoso

If the weather is too bad to dock/tender then the port is missed. you are refunded port fees/taxes and if you booked an excursion through Carnival that will be refunded. However they do not return to the port later or visit a different port. It isn't that easy

Just curious how your captain handled bad weather in ports...Did you guys skip the port? Visited on a different day? Or went to another port not scheduled?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Sometimes the port is skipped altogether and there is no substitution.

Sometimes ports can be flip flopped.

Sometime a different port can be substituted.

Much depends on what port is close by and their availability of dock space or tenders as well as the weather forecast. These are the various scenario from my cruise friends.

We have done 15 cruises in the last 5 1/2 years and have not missed a port yet.

Advance to 55 seconds on this vid to see what happens when the crew gets over confident....

[YOUTUBE]0wCUort-74w[/YOUTUBE]

We pulled in the next day (I think, but my husband thinks it was a few hours later lol. We can't remember). They were still there and the metal was still all bent up. We drove right by it on our way to go fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our last cruise Carnival Dream, we missed one of 4 ports. It was Costa Maya and we weren't able to dock due to high winds. We were given a refund for the excursion we had booked there and an onboard credit for port fees. We were disappointed but we did have 3 other ports so it wasn't the worst thing in the world. The weather can't be helped of course.

Here's my limited experience:

I've been on roughly 15 cruises:

8 - Carnival

4 - NCL

1 - Disney

1 - RCCL

1 - Princess

In total, I've missed 2 ports: First one, Grand Cayman. At the time, I was on the (brand-new) Jewel. It was a real bummer, too because it was a beautiful day...but very windy. I witnessed the crew trying so hard to get the tenders to cooperate, but to no avail. It was a bit puzzling to a lot of passengers because right next to us we saw Carnival having no problem tendering people on and off to the island. However, like I mentioned, I personally saw our crew working like dogs, trying everything to get those tenders going but the winds were too much. The boats were swaying like crazy. It would have been dangerous.

The other time, it was Belize. It was the week of Thanksgiving, 2014 or 2015. I can't remember. Anyway, I was on the Splendor. Unfortunately, we were sailing in a tropical depression. It was the one and only time on any cruise I saw barf bags displayed by the elevators. the pool deck was a mess. Completely flooded. It was still kinda fun though: I thought it was sort of exciting, being in the middle of a huge storm. All the stops were a complete waste, except for Grand Cayman. We had a few nice hours there. It was pouring in Cozumel, but still, it was fun walking over to all the shops and having lunch at one of the restaurants by the ocean. Roatan was totally flooded, too. The biggest bummer was the fact that it took me months to convince my hubby to go on what would be his first cruise. He said at the time he'd never go again, but he's starting to come around. Hopefully, I'll be able to talk him into giving it another shot. I think I'm close. Maybe next Spring. (Definitely NOT in November!!) :)