Things to do

pna

Years ago we cruised Princess. Have done one Disney cruise with family, but last two were with Celebrity. We loved Celebrity. Friendliness and service from crew. We went to some shows but not all. We like the itinerary of a 2018 cruise on Oceania. I read good things about the food. Are there things to do on board during the day and evening? . We enjoy a drink or two at a bar before or/and after dinner. I like to sit on deck and enjoy the sun during the day, that doesn't interest my husband for more than an hour or two. Are the any onboard lectures, art shows, etc. ? The cruse we are looking has quite a few ports, so that will make a difference.

Yes, there are things to do on board but it depends on which ship you are talking about. Marina and Riviera are larger, so there are more spaces. They have 1250 passengers, the older "R"ships are only 684 passengers. All ships have lectures, etc. They don't just leave you to entertain yourself. Art shows, not so much.

Depending on the itinerary (and number of ports) there will be some lectures, sometimes more, sometimes less. They usually have at least one cooking demo which are entertaining (assuming you will be interested in that sort of thing).

On the two bigger ships there are also the handicraft locations and culinary classes. There are evening shows after dinner (usually 9:30-9:45) but entertainment is not Oceania's strong suit. We've loved some shows, enjoyed others , and walked out of a few. But that's due to our personal taste, not necessarily the quality of the show. The bars are there, some musical entertainment in the bars (generally Horizons or Martinis) depending on the hour. O also has a string quartet (we can argue about the quality of the performances) that play during cocktail hours, sometimes at the fancy brunches that don't happen on every cruise.

I don't think you'd be bored from your description of your interests but I have to guess. We are easily pleased!

My favorite place on the "R" ships is the library ... not so much the library on the "O" ships. You say the cruise you are looking at has quite a lot of ports, but does that mean no sea days at all? That DOES make a difference. You won't find the lectures, etc., on port days ...

We happen to like sea days ... we didn't at all when we started cruising on Renaissance, but our tastes changed over the years. Hope this helps ... feel free to write me privately if you have more specific questions that you think might not interest others ... Mura

Years ago we cruised Princess. Have done one Disney cruise with family, but last two were with Celebrity. We loved Celebrity. Friendliness and service from crew. We went to some shows but not all. We like the itinerary of a 2018 cruise on Oceania. I read good things about the food. Are there things to do on board during the day and evening? . We enjoy a drink or two at a bar before or/and after dinner. I like to sit on deck and enjoy the sun during the day, that doesn't interest my husband for more than an hour or two. Are the any onboard lectures, art shows, etc. ? The cruse we are looking has quite a few ports, so that will make a difference.

Short answer; NO.... not for you

Long answer;

To be honest,what you have enjoyed in the past will not be to any extent be able to achieve or experience on any O ship. Your husband will be bored out of his gourd,. No art shows or auctions, no deck games, a once a week cooking demo, Maybe on some cruises a lecturer once a day on sea days, except for the Port shop lectures and future cruise sales. Bingo, trivia on sea days , A bitch and stitch sewing group in the morning. Large O class ships will have a daily art class and a Pay cooking class 2 hr.. For the most part, you need to provide your own entertainment

No bands during the day, Chamber music in the evening, and some piano music in the martini bar. A 9;30 small show a singer a comedian a magician... small acts not productions.. The total opposite of what you have experience.:o

Is the food, lack of kids, low-key casual enough to compensate for a total opposite experience than what celebrity offers? :confused: From how you expressed your self, I dont think it will, and thats OK.... O is not a good fit in my opinion, based on your likes and dislikes.

Someone in another thread posted a url that allows you to see some sample daily bulletins from previous cruises, including Oceania.

http://www.1mpages.com/CruiseDailyBulletins.html

This might give you some insight into what you can expect and help you determine if Oceania might be a good fit for you.

You can probably find others on Google.

Someone in another thread posted a url that allows you to see some sample daily bulletins from previous cruises, including Oceania.

http://www.1mpages.com/CruiseDailyBulletins.html

This might give you some insight into what you can expect and help you determine if Oceania might be a good fit for you.

You can probably find others on Google.

Yes....+1 excellent way to judge. Try to pick a daily bulletin from a cruise ship, in a similar region, time of year and length of cruise... make it as equal as possible;)