Disembarkation from Infinity at San Diego Port April 17 2017 Question

LiveToCruise99

I am posting from the Infinity. We are B2B with April 17th our turnaround day. The Michael's Club concierge had told us that there were over 700 nonUS citizens onboard, but for San Diego I thought that the process went smoothly. There were only 18 or so back to back cruisers, and when we cleared customs on board I asked how it was going and was told very quickly. We stayed on the ship as we had some phone calls to make and other tasks, and the gangway was closed at 10:45 am. So all leaving the ship were off by 10:45 am.

Thank you for letting me know. We are on this same westbound route leaving Fort Lauderdale on May 2nd. We have been advised not to book flights earlier than 12:45 p.m. because of anticipated immigration delays. Unfortunately our flights are already booked for 11:40 a.m. You never know what might happen but I'm a little less stressed that it's doable especially if we plan to do unassisted disembarkation and grab a taxi.

LiveToCruise99: We have disembarked in San Diego on two prior occassions, and my memory was that self-disembarkation at San Diego wasn't offered in either 2012 or 2014. Despite the fact that we are on a B2B I looked at that disembarkation questionaire which was delivered during the April 2nd cruise, and indeed there was no box to check for self-disembarkation.

Yesterday's disembarkation was scheduled to start 9:30 am, and did so right on time. On May 17th, the Disney Wonder will be in port as well.

One might expect that fewer US Customs agents will be available for the Infinity. Traffic will also be moving much slower between Harbor Drive and

the airport on that day.

David

Unrelated to Customs and the timing but can I just WARN people about the situation disembarking in San Diego. We also ended our adventure on 4/17 and we had been warned that getting off the ship - you needed to use caution.

A slight slopping upwards gangway of two levels, and the the choice of two flights of stairs down while carrying your hand luggage or a line and wait for 1 small elevator.

We had just stepped off the bottom of the stairs when the sound of hearing a person falling down, down, down the flight above us was heard. We turned around and the wife was visible on the landing, screaming. Celebrity and shore personnel we leaping over fencing and rushing to the stairs to reach the man.

My guess is that the line was long at the elevator and this older couple tried to carry their carryon luggage down. We had friends IN the elevator and they could hear the sound of him falling as well. Very sad way to end a cruise.

The ambulance was racing in as we left. Please - allow yourself time no matter what your plans are!!!!!

WOW I didn't know all of that happened. We got off the ship at 6:00 (There were only a few of us and the customs agents weren't happy. They were just coming on the ship. Celebrity did this as a favor for us and customs didn't want anything to happen until 9:30) We just went down the ship elevator to 1 and then went out onto the docks. We had to carry our own luggage and there were no porters to help because it was so early. A few cab drivers found us, but they were surprised to see us too. We didn't have any ramps or elevators, just a flat surface. Don't book your flight until after noon, then you don't have to worry. We are just grateful to Celebrity because they saved us a lot of money.