Cruising with baby?

Really appreciated this thread! I had been searching in the ship specific threads forever. We are cruising with our then 22 month old on HOTS June 3rd. Relieved to hear all the positive feedback!

Get ready to have to pry little fingers off the carousel. It's a great time. Enjoy!

Hopefully I can offer you some reassurance! The best piece of advice I have is to book it and enjoy the time spent as a family! We have two boys (now 4 and 2) and they have each been on several cruises starting at 6 months old. I might be the odd one out by saying that I think it was easier to travel with a baby than a toddler! We tend to sail on the Oasis class ships now and we have used the nursery on the Oasis, the Allure and just recently the Harmony. They are FANTASTIC. We would use them in the afternoons and the evenings. Not every night, but a few nights during the cruise. We now sail with our good friends whose boys are the same ages and they would tell you the same. I'm also going to say that we didn't spend a ton of time in our cabin. We bring strollers that we know our kids will be comfortable sleeping in (yes, we bring two single strollers). They would sleep on deck during the day (make sure the stroller has a good sun awning) and we even brought them to shows at night. The staff on the ships are so accommodating. Last year we were with our friends and they had us bring in our three strollers and line them up against the wall in the theater. All of the boys were fast asleep during the entire production of Mamma Mia. The ship will supply a pack and play and we have always brought our own sheets - just to give it a touch of home. We also traveled with the sleep sheep when they were both little so that it would be like their crib at home.

Things not to forget: Formula (if you are formula feeding) - pack more than you think you will need. We also bought a formula container that separated the amounts for each feeding.

All meds and a thermometer - Anything you might need - Tylenol, Motrin, gas drops, etc. You can't get infant meds from the store onboard, but if something does happen while you're away, the medical center on board does have meds including antibiotics.

Inflatable Duck Tub - If you're not in a suite, you will have a stand up shower and no tub. The Duck Tub fit in the shower and we would just bathe them in there. We would also take it up to the pool deck during the day and get some water from the shower (the ones used to rinse off) and put it between our chairs so that our little one could play in the water.

Baby Bjorn/Ergo carrier - really helps during the sail away drill and just walking around in general.

More diapers than you think you will need along with diaper disposal bags (so that your cabin doesn't smell)

Bottle Brush/Small bottle of dish soap - to wash bottles

Tide sink packs - so that you can wash bibs or any clothes that might be soiled

We took our kids on excursions, to the beach, to restaurants, etc. Don't let anybody scare you into not taking your child. You will have a great time. If you utilize the nursery (or even if you don't) and have an open mind, it will be an amazing vacation. Make plans for all the shows - the worst thing that can happen is that you don't make it. We always liked the late seating for dinner because we could (and still do at times!) bring our kids sleeping in their strollers and wheel them right up to the table. We would just feed them dinner ahead of time in the room. We have never had a bad cruise - we look back and have wonderful memories of our kids growing up onboard. Plus, the photographers love little ones - you will have so many pictures!!!

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Thank you so much for your input! I also will be traveling on the Oasis of the seas, so I'm really glad to hear your experience with them! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Hi there!

Hubby and I are avid cruisers/ travelers and we just booked our first cruise with baby! He will be 7 months old at the time of cruising. We're pretty nervous about it, anyone travel with babies that can give us some tips/ advice?

I would like for the negative Nancy's to please keep their opinions to themselves. I know some people are anti - traveling with babies. Thanks [emoji1]

Good luck.

My two kids are both seasoned cruisers at 2 and almost 4. It is a completely different cruising experience, but still fun. A few tips:

1. I'd encourage a balcony, if you can swing it. That way when baby is sleeping, you can go 'outside' and not sit in silent darkness.

2. We've used CCL and NCL cribs/pack and plays. Both were great. Saved sooo much hassle lugging our own on. I brought sheets and the kid's blanket/lovey and we were set.

3. Ditto the extra supplies, including meds and sunscreen, and trip insurance.

4. Many ships will rent strollers by the day. We've done that for days we know we want one, like port days. Saves taking ours and the price wasn't terrible.

5. BABY WEARING. People may think you are nuts, but look into a carrier like a Tula, Ergo, or Lenny Lamb. You can carry the baby and keep your hands free. Also negates the need for a stroller as much. We still use ours with the 2 year old on long shore excursions to carry her back when she's tired. Throw her up on our back and she's good to go. :)

6. The crew on the ship will go out of their way for you. Be prepared for crew to come up to just see your baby and comment on how it reminds them of theirs back home. My son told the hostess he wanted carrot cake one night for dinner and she went to the cafe and came back with 3 specialty cupcakes for him.

7. People on the ship will judge you. Be ready. I suggest a list of snarky comments prepped and ready. I especially loved the remarks and looks from those riding motorized scooters...

My 13yo got on her first cruise at 3 months old (back then Disney allowed them that young), and been on many cruises afterwards. As someone else mentioned, infants are easier then toddlers on cruises.

I can repeat all the normal things. Bring plenty of diapers, baby food/formula (even if breast feeding, bring a small amount just in case), and baby medicine. If you're flying in early, you could pick these up at your embarkation location before going to the cruise ship, rather then having to pack them and drag them down on a plane.

We brought a baby seat that had a handle to carry her in, as well as an umbrella stroller, and a baby bjorn. It gave us a variety of ways to get around in. I wouldn't bring a full sized stroller, it's big, bulky, and the halls can be narrow (but then, scooters get around), not to mention having to store it in the room.

Book shows, dinners, etc. There's no reason to skip them, just bring the baby. Ours slept through most dinners, and loved the shows. Sit in the back, so if the baby acts up you can make an easy exit. Same with restaurants. We only had one issue with her not settling down at a restaurant, so I took her out.

Life won't be the same onboard as before a kid, as there will be the need for naps and such, but then it's not the same on land either once you have a child :). A balcony is a good idea, as it's nice to sit out there if the baby is napping. A lot depends on the baby of course, ours slept through most things. My wife generally turns in early, she likes to have dinner, see a show, and then usually read, cross-stitch, do puzzles and such. So she took the baby at that point. You don't need to do everything together after all.

We weren't judged, at least not openly. I wouldn't worry about it on a family friendly line. Just be conscientious that if the baby is having a "moment" to take them out if they're crying/carrying on for too long and the majority of people will understand.

Our eldest started cruising at two and the youngest at around age one.

We experienced no issues at all. As is the case every time you leave the house with children at that age you need to set off prepared - our main preparation was to take 150 nappies for the ten days (clearly more than enough under any plausible scenario). We were on Princess and so had access to laundry at a sensible price (free beyond the token to get the wash going on a suitcase-sized load of baby clothes).

If you're a half resilient parent who can cope with routines having to change a little bit then I don't think you'll experience anything that you would consider a challenge.

We selected excursions suited to children at that age and we took car seats with us to allow for a variety of transport scenarios that might come up.

In terms of technical difficulty this will be no different to taking your kids on holiday anywhere else.

My two kids are both seasoned cruisers at 2 and almost 4. It is a completely different cruising experience, but still fun. A few tips:

1. I'd encourage a balcony, if you can swing it. That way when baby is sleeping, you can go 'outside' and not sit in silent darkness.

2. We've used CCL and NCL cribs/pack and plays. Both were great. Saved sooo much hassle lugging our own on. I brought sheets and the kid's blanket/lovey and we were set.

3. Ditto the extra supplies, including meds and sunscreen, and trip insurance.

4. Many ships will rent strollers by the day. We've done that for days we know we want one, like port days. Saves taking ours and the price wasn't terrible.

5. BABY WEARING. People may think you are nuts, but look into a carrier like a Tula, Ergo, or Lenny Lamb. You can carry the baby and keep your hands free. Also negates the need for a stroller as much. We still use ours with the 2 year old on long shore excursions to carry her back when she's tired. Throw her up on our back and she's good to go. :)

6. The crew on the ship will go out of their way for you. Be prepared for crew to come up to just see your baby and comment on how it reminds them of theirs back home. My son told the hostess he wanted carrot cake one night for dinner and she went to the cafe and came back with 3 specialty cupcakes for him.

7. People on the ship will judge you. Be ready. I suggest a list of snarky comments prepped and ready. I especially loved the remarks and looks from those riding motorized scooters...

Thanks! Yea we're balcony snobs lol, I need to be able to go "outside " at all times. We do have 2 carriers, gonna change our ergobaby to a 360 one though.

Lol... I'm trying to be ready, funny because I was trying to think of comebacks last night but i got nothing... any recommendations? [emoji39] [emoji1]

What's the public opinion on semi-public breastfeeding in the US and cruises originating from FL? I specifically mean breastfeeding in the ship's public spaces (some quiet corner) and so on?

Whip em out. If anyone has a problem it's just that, their problem. My wife breast fed both our kids on multiple cruises with no issues. If anyone had the "balls" to say anything to her I would have made for a very entertaining moment or at least a life boat drill lol.

Hi there!

Hubby and I are avid cruisers/ travelers and we just booked our first cruise with baby! He will be 7 months old at the time of cruising. We're pretty nervous about it, anyone travel with babies that can give us some tips/ advice?

I would like for the negative Nancy's to please keep their opinions to themselves. I know some people are anti - traveling with babies. Thanks [emoji1]

My 13 year old diamond daughter was 4 months old on her first cruise on the Majesty. She was a happy baby and laughed and giggled and slept the whole cruise. At the time the aquarium at Atlantis was free and she focused on all the colorful fish as we walked by. Just plan for the kid and know he will be in charge of the schedule. He will have a great time even if he doesn't remember.

Thank you so much for all your advice! I will be taking my daughter on her 1st cruise on June 15th of the Grandeur... she will be 15 months, we have adjoining rooms with my parents, so when she is sleeping I can be in their room...

If you religiously steralise bottles (I did until my kids were a year old!) I strongly recommend a cold water steraliser tub and milton tablets - much easier than trying to find a microwave etc.

Definitely bring the essentials + at least half to accommodate increased consumption and any delays. (Goes for nappies, pureed food and formula etc)

Dish washer soap and cleaning utensils to keep extra bottles and bowls and soothers clean and sterile.

They will happily provide a travel cot, but i'd bring your own bedding as it will be more of a comfort to your baby.

Extra clothes - especially if you're flying (and a change of clothes for yourself too - it's really no fun to travel in a sweater that has vomit or poop down it!)

Other than that - just roll with it. Vacationing with a child will naturally be different to vacationing without one, but there is no reason why it won't be as enjoyable as before you had a baby, just different!!

Oh, and books/DVDs/Games for whilst baby is napping is a great idea, and if you go for a balcony, it's great to be able to sit out and enjoy the sunshine whilst nap is in progress for sure! :)

Whip em out. If anyone has a problem it's just that, their problem. My wife breast fed both our kids on multiple cruises with no issues. If anyone had the "balls" to say anything to her I would have made for a very entertaining moment or at least a life boat drill lol.

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] you go dad! Love it thanks for the support.

Sailed with a 7 month old. Many of the tips here are right on and we did many of the same things

One additional thing I did was I ordered some baby supplies online (diapers, food, etc) and had them shipped to our pre-cruise hotel. This was much easier than trying to fit everything we needed into the bags.

I also can't recommend the nursery highly enough, the price was extremely reasonable to be able to get some alone time. They were very professional.

In my experience the crew will go above and beyond too. It was my 9th cruise and the best service we ever had.

Do lower your expectations about what you can and can't do traveling with a baby. I can tell you that if you have the right attitude you'll have a good time no matter what. The proof is below.

a076d798bc6a803694b655194c6120ed.jpga43910dd901dcff2678a3421ebebe43f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailed with a 7 month old. Many of the tips here are right on and we did many of the same things

One additional thing I did was I ordered some baby supplies online (diapers, food, etc) and had them shipped to our pre-cruise hotel. This was much easier than trying to fit everything we needed into the bags.

I also can't recommend the nursery highly enough, the price was extremely reasonable to be able to get some alone time. They were very professional.

In my experience the crew will go above and beyond too. It was my 9th cruise and the best service we ever had.

Do lower your expectations about what you can and can't do traveling with a baby. I can tell you that if you have the right attitude you'll have a good time no matter what. The proof is below.

a076d798bc6a803694b655194c6120ed.jpga43910dd901dcff2678a3421ebebe43f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love it! Thanks so much... your baby is such a cutie [emoji4] where was that in the picture of him on the ground?