2018 thoughts - a lot to consider

Hello again, this is Mike. As far as 2018 goes, I've come up with a few general ideas.

A cruise I've been thinking about a lot that opened up early this month is on the Independence to Norwegian fjords in May of 2018. Of course, no airlines have flights open this far in advance yet. I'm young, but I don't generally like to spend much casually, and my parents are confident that I can pull this off if I save up full steam. As it currently stands, it's somewhat, somehow inexpensive compared to the Mediterranean sailings on the Independence.

Unfortunately, I found out about the single supplement crap. The only options I'm comfortable with to avoid that are to keep an eye on deals, properly time booking, or negotiate. However, as my parents say, I can do it with them, but as an independent guy, I'm not a big fan of that.

The Norwegian fjords are definitely something I'd love to do, but then there's weather, temperature-wise, for me to think about. More specifically, these ports are Molde, Geiranger, Ålesund, Flåm and Stavanger. We live in the Lehigh Valley. In terms of weather, my biggest impression is that Norway at the end of May is us during this time of year (April). It's generally pleasant here right now, as we have days in the 60s, occasionally in the 70s, and the low-to-mid-80s on some occasions this month. Pennsylvania weather isn't the most predictable out there, and I can only assume Europe is even more so like this, even around the summer months. The only thing I do know is that the sun basically doesn't set up there. I'm so used to the Caribbean warmth that I'm a little skeptical.

However, to compensate, I'm considering a Caribbean cruise or land vacation soon after.

For example, If I pull off this Norway cruise myself, maybe I'd then go on the Liberty or Harmony with one or both parents, although I'm eager to try the Harmony.

If I go on this Norway cruise with one or both parents, the Freedom is starting to go out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean in 2018. These sailings stand considerably inexpensive in comparison, and I could probably do one solo.

On top of single supplement crap, another problem: age policy nonsense. I don't understand why you gotta be 21 to do everything here in America, but everywhere else, including the UK, you only have to be 18. In 2018, I will be 20, turning 21 in August of that year. On Royal Caribbean's website, San Juan is categorized as a "South America and Caribbean" departure port.

"Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is 21. The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18." Puerto Rico is U.S. territory, but I can only assume some restrictions are reduced to 18. If I'm correct or wrong about only having to be 18 to sail out of San Juan, let me know.

I sure had a lot of diverse topics to cover in this research paper of a post. Just something I wanted to get out there. Any answers to any of my concerns, I'd greatly appreciate. Next time we meet, I'll be reporting my upcoming St. Maarten vacation. Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Is the 21 policy because they didn't want a whole bunch of college kids on spring break partying too hard? Or is it because the drinking age in the US is 21?

Who knows?

I don't know if drinking age is a factor, because in Puerto Rico, it's 18.

To deal with single supplement, is there a friend you would like to bring? That slices the cost in half .

Hey if you need someone to offset that double cost ;););)

I'll be on the Harmony in June, and I absolutely can't wait. Unfortunately my only cruises have been to the Bahamas/Caribbean so I'm dying to get to Europe someday. I think the next one in line is Alaska (rumor is Ovation will be moving to Alaska??) Either way, there are so many options that it's difficult to decide!