Royal Independence/Freedom

This ties in with a question I have on another board about a March trip next year. Two of my options are RCCL (first time on RCCL).

One is Freedom of the Seas, 6 night, goes to Costa Maya, Cayman, Cozumel.

One is Independence of the Seas, 5 night, goes to Costa Maya and Cozumel.

I know they are the same class of ship. Can anyone tell me why the same room category is about $100 more for Independence, which is one fewer night and one fewer port? Even if I change the decks around while shopping on the website, the difference is minimal, and more on the shorter cruise. The ships are supposed to be almost identical.

I had to make the same decision for a Thanksgiving cruise.

Independence may be a bit newer, but 6 days > 5 days no matter what, and Freedom visits the same ports, AND has the Grand Cayman stop which makes it a no-brainer for me.

Thanks for the info. I thought they were pretty much the same which is why the same price for a 6 night and/or a 5 night (in the same type room) seemed bizarre. Wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with Freedom.

I have been to Cayman and Cozumel (although it was 2004) so going to Cayman is not a deal breaker for me--I already swam with the stingrays! The dreamworks thing doesn't mean anything to me either as it will just be me and my husband, both 54 at the time.

I'm down to one of these or a 5 night Princess to Amber Cove and Grand Turk in a mini-suite, so a lot to consider.

with the price point similar to the RCCL cruises I'm looking at, it is a "club class" mini-suite which priority embarkation and guaranteed anytime seating in the MDR in a separate area. I gather it is a newer thing they are offering on Princess. 5 nights in that suite is $1948. The prices are so close I am really having a hard time choosing.