Coast Guard pick up Person from Norwegian Pearl

MagicCat7

Extreme Coast Guard Helicopter Ocean Rescue Norwegian Pearl Cruise Ship Vacation. April 4th 2017 7:07pm. This was our first full sea day after departing from Miami Florida on April 3 2017. We were sitting down to eat out on the back open deck on the Norwegian Pearl when I heard a helicopter, which would be really unusual because we were far from land in the middle of the caribbean sea and headed to Aruba on a 10 Panama Canal cruise. The captain of the ship got on the loud speaker system and told us there was a medical emergency. It was quite an experience to watch such an extreme event take place.

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Pearl 10 day Panama Canal Cruise Itinerary.

Miami Florida

Oranjestad Aruba

Cartagena Columbia

Panama Canal Gatun Lake Panama

Colon Panama

Puerto Limon Costa Rica

Hope the ill passenger does well.

This happens more often that you think. The crew is well trained and prepared to support the medivac. A few months back, we had a medivac off the Escape at 2 am, doing 17 knots, in moderate seas. We had a forward facing stateroom and were able to see the ill passenger and his wife lifted off the bow. About an hour before the helicopter arrive, crews removed rigging from the bow, set up a wind sock, assembled fully dressed fire teams and charged their hoses. Our friends on the Escape two week later had a similar medivac.

I have seen this happen several times on cruises I have been on; different cruise lines.

The professionalism and skill level of everyone involved was remarkable; we were crying it was so overwhelming. We felt bad for the families yet were so grateful that there is a service available for these emergencies.

Most of the time it was the US Coast Guard but one time it was off the coast of Spain on a TA cruise. It was incredible. Thankfully all were good on all of the evacuations I witnessed. I am grateful everyday for our US Military.

Safe cruising all! :)