Caveman Snorkeling in Belize

Spraygun

Did this a couple years ago. We took the 5 hr tour with Caveman. It was great. Shark Ray Alley, Coral Gardens, Hol Chan Marine preserve, then back to Caye Caulker to feed the tarpons and look for seahorses. We had about 45 minutes on the island before the return water taxi, so we walked up to the Split and had a couple beers at the Lazy Lizard.

Toughest part about doing this is the water taxi schedule. We were scheduled to be in port from 8a to 6p which allowed us to take the 9a over and the 3:30p back.

Belize is a tender port, and thanks to a gift of priority tender passes, we were able to be on the first tender over(as among first on/first off). However, being a contracted larger tender(not a ships' lifeboat), it took 20 minutes for the boat to load up all the way and make the 25-30 minute trip to shore. We arrived at the tender dock at about 8:50 and had to literally run up to the water taxi dock, where we made it just in time to catch the 9:00a water taxi. They actually waited for us to get our tickets from the booth as the last ones on the water taxi.

Had we missed this one, the next wasn't until 10:30a and that would have severely cut the amount of time that we would have had to take a longer tour with Caveman.

So keep this in mind. Just because one's ship may be scheduled to arrive at 8a, that doesn't always guarantee that one can count on catching the 9a water taxi to Caye Caulker. Plan to be up early and done with breakfast to be on that first tender, and be prepared to know exactly how to get to the water taxi(google maps helps) in case your party might need to book it to get there in time.

Caveman's tour is worth it. He's a great host and ambassador of Caye Caulker and the surrounding marine park.

That sounds risky.I think I will book the 3 hour.Do you know anything about the private trips they advertise for? There will be 4 of us. It would be nice to have our own guide and boat. It appears too be an option. If not I can figure that out.The Freedom leaves at 5. I'd like to be on it.I may not see everything. But I will be informed for the next trip. Thanks for the detailed response . It's exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy using speech to text