Canceling Third Person Issues

Moobaby214

We are a party of three booked on this coming Saturday's Divina cruise. Unfortunately, my 87yo MIL with Alzheimers is not going to be allowed to go by her doctor. I called on Saturday to cancel her and let MSC know she would not be taking the cruise. We do have insurance just in case anything like this came up.

On Saturday the phone agent was unable to complete the process, but did remove my MIL from the reservation. I get a call Monday from the same agent to complete the cancellation. Unfortunately, I was not at a place to complete the call, so I asked him to call me today. He has not called, so I called in to speak with someone.

We paid $617.23 (plus insurance) for her as our third person in the room. I know that we will not get the $617.23 back from MSC, rather we will need to file with the insurance company. MSC is charging us an additional Cancellation Fee of $839 and no one can explain what that fee is or why it exists. It appears that MSC wants us to pay a total of $1,456.23 for a person who won't even be there.

Does anyone have any information as to cancelling with MSC? Is this the norm? No one at MSC can explain what is going on...

We are a party of three booked on this coming Saturday's Divina cruise. Unfortunately, my 87yo MIL with Alzheimers is not going to be allowed to go by her doctor. I called on Saturday to cancel her and let MSC know she would not be taking the cruise. We do have insurance just in case anything like this came up.

On Saturday the phone agent was unable to complete the process, but did remove my MIL from the reservation. I get a call Monday from the same agent to complete the cancellation. Unfortunately, I was not at a place to complete the call, so I asked him to call me today. He has not called, so I called in to speak with someone.

We paid $617.23 (plus insurance) for her as our third person in the room. I know that we will not get the $617.23 back from MSC, rather we will need to file with the insurance company. MSC is charging us an additional Cancellation Fee of $839 and no one can explain what that fee is or why it exists. It appears that MSC wants us to pay a total of $1,456.23 for a person who won't even be there.

Does anyone have any information as to cancelling with MSC? Is this the norm? No one at MSC can explain what is going on...

I am sure there is more to this story and explanation . I never heard about extra charges to cancel a cruise. If you did precondition insurance you may get your money back if not just forget about it.

Resolved!

The agent that I canceled with added some bogus "cancellation" fee that was above and beyond the actual fare. The agent also did not remove my MIL from the reservation, hence them wanting me to pay twice.

She was removed from the reservation. The fee was taken down to the actual cruise fare. Taxes and port charges have been refunded. Now to deal with insurance...