New Orleans Coming Back to LIFE!

Rowan555

I know this post will get moved, but I wanted to share the "good news" with my Carnival friends. We went to the French Quarter again yesterday, and there were at least three times as many people as we saw down there the Sunday before. Lots of traffic, Cafe du Monde was packed, and the French Market was bustling - and all of this while the Gretna Heritage Festival was taking place across the river (which was also packed with people). It did my heart good to see all the activity when a week before things seemed SO empty all over the Quarter. Lots of restaurants open (if anyone wants a list, email me - I have it somewhere on my PC) and things really seemed almost NORMAL in that one part of the city. Not so much elsewhere, of course, but in terms of a weekend shopping visit to the Quarter, there would be NO problems at all.

Hope some of you will take a day trip down here soon - lots to see, do, and buy!!!

My DH is down there now, but he's working in some of the harder hit areas. It's good to hear that there are signs of life downtown. He did say that there are some things open depending on where you go. If the heart of the city recovers well, the rest of the city will follow.

I don't see why they'd remove your post. NO was becoming a major cruise port, and Carnival was the leader. Any info about the city should be relavant, because we really need those ships back in town. Not to mention that I have to drive an extra 2 hours to Galveston now that NO has no ships.

• 1 year later...

LHP - Cafe Du Monde is in full operation at the Riverwalk. Wish I could say other things were going on there but it was pretty calm. Many stores not open and no crowds in the Riverwalk last month. Maybe since it's closer to Christmas, the business has picked up. There weren't any crowds anywhere with the most around Harrahs area. I think Saks and Ann Taylor and some of the other stores in Canal Place were supposed to open in November. It just seemed really quiet to us. :(

Im also glad life is returning to NOLA, but on some things businesses seem to be taking advantage. One thing is parking. Every hotel wants to charge $80 - 100 for a room, then $25 to park on top of it. What's the deal? Parking should be free for hotel guests. If you don't rape me for parking, maybe then I can stay an extra night at your hotel or drop some cash at the French Quarter. The economy needs tourism, thats for sure. But you have to entice the tourist to want to come back. Any thoughts?

Im also glad life is returning to NOLA, but on some things businesses seem to be taking advantage. One thing is parking. Every hotel wants to charge $80 - 100 for a room, then $25 to park on top of it. What's the deal? Parking should be free for hotel guests. If you don't rape me for parking, maybe then I can stay an extra night at your hotel or drop some cash at the French Quarter. The economy needs tourism, thats for sure. But you have to entice the tourist to want to come back. Any thoughts?

Best as I can remember, paid parking has always been the norm for New Orleans around the French Quarter where space is such a premium. So don't think of it as being something new just to take advantage. (maybe that will help a little)

LHP - Cafe Du Monde is in full operation at the Riverwalk. Wish I could say other things were going on there but it was pretty calm. Many stores not open and no crowds in the Riverwalk last month. Maybe since it's closer to Christmas, the business has picked up. There weren't any crowds anywhere with the most around Harrahs area. I think Saks and Ann Taylor and some of the other stores in Canal Place were supposed to open in November. It just seemed really quiet to us. :(

So glad to hear about Cafe...that will be where my day will begin on Thursday then before boarding the ship when we come down!!!

Archived