Did I overdo it? FTTF and cabanas

imwebe

We're sailing on the Pride May 21 and I've booked cabanas on both Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. I also purchased FTTF. I use a walker and on our cruise in October was ushered pass the longer lines to handicap check-in.

It just occurred to me that perhaps buying FTTF was overdoing it since, if I understand correctly, a cabana will already get us priority passage on the tender to HMC. We also won't care when we debark since we'll be driving home from Baltimore - only a little over an hour to home. Do you guys see any advantage in my holding on to FTTF? I also really don't care if my luggage is already in my room when we get there.

Do you use guest services, ever? If so you may keep it. The line can be long with all of the complainers so you would have a dedicated line at guest services. Also when you embark, your room will be ready so you can drop off your carry-on luggage/sodas in your stateroom rather than having to lug them around waiting on your room to be ready.

BTW as soon as you board, go straight to guest services and book the highest number cabana available at HMC. You'll thank me later.

I can thank you, now. I've gotten that sage advice from others here, and plan to make a dash for the excursion desk as soon as we're on board. I have my heart set on one right in front of the bathrooms!

I can thank you, now. I've gotten that sage advice from others here, and plan to make a dash for the excursion desk as soon as we're on board. I have my heart set on one right in front of the bathrooms!

Then perhaps keeping faster to the fun would be beneficial as you can get right on board quickly and get over there and book the cabana that you want

Do you use guest services, ever? If so you may keep it. The line can be long with all of the complainers so you would have a dedicated line at guest services. Also when you embark, your room will be ready so you can drop off your carry-on luggage/sodas in your stateroom rather than having to lug them around waiting on your room to be ready.

BTW as soon as you board, go straight to guest services and book the highest number cabana available at HMC. You'll thank me later.

Cabanas # 10 & # 11 ( at HMC) are the closest to the restrooms. I would try for one of those first. If both are already taken, then start from # 9 and go up.

Just want to let you know that the Port of Baltimore runs their handicapped/crew assisted check-in and boarding differently than other ports. Remember also that the Pride arrives in port later than most other Carnival cruises, usually docking between 9 &10 am.

Here's how it will go:

1. If you are not priority, they will have you wait outside till your staggered check-in time if arrive before before that time, even with a cane, walker, or wheelchair.
  2. Once inside they will put you on 1 of 2 the priority lines for the security check, which feeds into one of 3 metal detectors. If all 3 are manned priority and mobility issue persons will go through the center one alternating with the second priority line. If only 2 of the detectors are manned they will process 10-20 priority passengers on that side's line then alternate to allow a few general boarding passengers through.
  3. Next non-priority handicapped passengers are directed to their own line for general boarding check-in counter, while those with priority go elsewhere.
  4. After processing-in, those needing crew assistance to board will be asked to sit in a certain wide aisle row of chairs. Port personnel will seat all that need boarding assistance regardless of priority level here. Once a crew member becomes available the booking with the highest priority level in this area will be boarded. Once priority booking are cleared, they will start with those from the general boarding pool until other priority passengers in need of assistance arrive, repeating the process till no more priority passengers need help.
  5. If your mobility issue allows you to board without crew assistance and you are not in a their own wheelchair or scooter, without priority you will be sat in the general boarding area and dismissed to board in the order of completion of the check-in process. Wheelchair passengers not needing crew assistance, will be placed along the wall near the boarding area door and their support people asked to stand. Those in their own wheelchairs or scooters will usually board at the head of the next general boarding call.

As you can see just having a mobility issue does not guarantee the Ad Hoc priority that some of the other ports give, when in Baltimore. So my vote is that you keep your FttF if you want the faster check-in process and boarding. If planning on a later arrival time, say after 1:30, then you might want to give FttF up because between the port being strict about the staggered time check-in and the way boarding is done by then they are pretty much caught-up and the lines are moving smoothly from security to check-in to immediate boarding, with maybe a little wait if you need boarding assistance.

Another vote for you to keep FTTF. Sounds like you have thought of every detail, are excited to have a wonderful time, and perhaps budgeted for a very nice vacation. If anything comes up and you need to go to guest services, you will definitely appreciate FTTF: My last cruise, 4-day with no tenders... I purchased FTTF simply because I love being able to board early: Little did I know, something came up and I would be utilizing the GS line. Worth every penny. Enjoy your trip!!! :)