Crystal Caves

LindaKE

We would like to do the Crystal Caves Excursion (Carnival), but wonder about the suggestion to bring a sunhat and sunscreen. Why would you need these in caves? The only explanation I can come up with is that transportation to the caves is via one of those open buses that may put the rider in the sun the whole trip. Is this the case? I'm thinking this mode of transportation would not be very comfortable.

Doubtful. There are a very, very, very few open top buses here. I won't say there are none but I have not seen one anytime recently.

Just guessing but there could be some water dripping from the roof of the caves. That might make a hat nice. But more likely is that the cave tours include some walking paths through the surrounding tropical forest. Hats and sun screen for sun shade for that would be wise.

Finally, I am not sure if that property has these, but there is a type of tree locally called the manchineel. When rain falls through the tree and drips down on you it picks up some chemicals from the tree leaves that can cause blistering. Really unpleasant. Don't take shelter from the rain under a tree if you do not know what kind of tree you are standing under.