Venice What You Must See And Can not leave without trying

I will be taking my cousin to venice plus a cruise to Barcelona what is the must do things on your list I want this to be a trip of a life time for him he is graduating with honors and I told him if he made A's all through school i would take him anywhere he would like to go well this is where he picked please give me your best and most unforgetable things to do!

I will be taking my cousin to venice plus a cruise to Barcelona what is the must do things on your list I want this to be a trip of a life time for him he is graduating with honors and I told him if he made A's all through school i would take him anywhere he would like to go well this is where he picked please give me your best and most unforgetable things to do!

Which cruise is it and where else are you going?

But, as to Venice and Barcelona:

Venice: The real treat is the city itself, wandering the narrow alleyways, canals and bridges, eating at outdoor cafes, enjoying the piazzas...As to actual sightseeing, there are three locations I deem as not to miss:

1) Piazza San Marco, especially the Doges' Palace...San Marco is what you see in all the photos of Venice--the Cathedral, the tower and the Doges' Palace...Get the "Secret Itineraries Tour of the Doges Palace if you can, otherwise, take the "Self-Guided" Tour...Especially of interest is crossing the Bridge of Sighs into the prison...

2) The Ghetto...This is the original Ghetto--where the word comes from...In the middle ages, the Jews of Venice were forced to live in this section of town only...There are several synagogues and you can get a tour at the Museo Ebraico which is absolutely fascinating--the history is incredible...

3) Rialto Bridge...the most picturesque of Venice's bridges and the surrounding open-air markets are grat...

Don't get roped into a "Free Tour" to Murano Glass Factories scam--it's high pressure sales...If you really must see Murano, catch a ride on a Vaporetti and do it on your own...

Barcelona:

1) La Sagrada Familia: Gaudi's masterpiece Cathedral...there is no other buildin g in the world quite like it...Absolutely incredible from every angle...

2) Parc Guell: Gaudi's version of a park...Walt Disney could only dream of being that creative...

3) Casa Mila: A Gaudi Apartment building...There is a Gaudi museum on the top floor and you really have to vrnture out onto the fantasyland roof...

4) Casa Batllo: A private home by Gaudi with no right angles or straight lines...

5) Stroll Las Ramblas...Barcelona's great walking/shopping/eating promenade

Have fun...

In addition to Bruin's good advice, make sure you take a public water bus up and down the Grand Canal. Try to work your way to the bow where you can get great views and great pictures.

Do a search on this forum for the phone number for the Secret Itinerary. You can reserve from home and pay when you get there. They speak and understand English.

You'll love Venice!

• 3 weeks later...

What a wonderful aunt!!! For Barcelona, I would have to add the Magic Fountains of Montjuic! It's something to do in the evenings that is truly magical. See the weblink below for pictures.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/albums-en/magic-fountains-montjuic/

We'll be going on an eastern med cruise in July and can't wait to finally see Venice!!!

For Venice, absolutely follow BruinSteve's advice...and be sure to spend time just sitting and having coffee or gelato in a square in a residential neighborhood. We especially liked Campo San Marguerita (sp?) in Dorsoduro section (be sure to visit the wine shop just off the square where you can purchase local wine in water bottles for less than 2 Euros (and it's drinkable and fun) and in the Castello area. We enjoyed watching the children come home from school and folks on the way to work in the AM. Be sure to do the requisite tourist things - they are awesome, but you'll miss the essence of the city if you don't wander the narrow alleys and sit in the squares. Also - two real finds for us was the walk from the Ghetto towards the Rialto with a crossing on a Tragetto (standing in the gondola) across the Grand Canal. This lead us directly to the produce and fish markets near the Rialto and some of the best shops a bit out of the way.

Barcelona - our second favorite after Venice (we're going back in March) is walkable and terrific - wander the Barri Gotic in the day time, visit the Catedral and the Picasso Museum. On Sunday afternoons watch the locals doing Catalan folk dances in the square. Be sure to walk La Rambla on Satuday night for an unforgettable experience. We also got off of the Tourist Bus on the Diagonal in Exaimple and walked towards La Rambla on its extension in that area....lovely and a totally different atmosphere. Stopped to have wine and salads in a sidewalk cafe (wish I remembered the name) and pretended that we lived in Barcelona.... Enjoy! What a lovely graduation present.

WAWA, do a search on this board for Venice and lots more info will pop up. I've posted some details. I agree with the posters. We stayed in Venice 3 nights pre-cruise for our Galaxy sail from Rome this Sept.

By the way, I grew up in a small town called Wawa, in Northern Ontario. Is your name any relation to that?

Al

Follow Bruin Steve's advice but I would also add

1. Vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal - it is a relaxing and inexpensive way to see the heart of Venice

2. Gondola ride (itis a once in a lifetime experience!)

3. Go to the top of the Campanile in San Marco Square - the view from the top is spectacular

I'll also tell you to follow Bruin Steve's advice and I'll add one thing....

The Peggy Guggenheim Collection museum.

It's an incredible collection of modern art. The museum itself was her house and she had the most ecclectic friends - from Dali to Picasso.

It's a don't miss!

What a wonderful aunt you are. He'll always remember this trip!

Jane

In addition to BruinSteve's advice:

Buy Rick Steve's guide to Italy. Take the No. 1 vaporetto up the Grand Canal and read about what you're seeing. It's fantastic! We managed to snag the two front seats, so we had a comfortable, unobstructed view.

Take a walk through the Castello district (where many of the locals live), preferably with the Eyewitness Travel guide to Venice in hand, which will point out all sorts of interesting things to see.

Go to Murano (via vaporetto, buy the day pass or multi-day pass depending on how long you'll be there) late in the day, say about 3:30 or 4:00 when the crowds are thinning but the shops are still open.

Just wander around, get lost, find your way out of the narrow alleyways. Soak it all in.

Adopt me!

A couple of years ago I visited Venice with a friend who is into woodworking and cabinet making. We went to the school where they teach people how to make gondolas, and he was mesmerized. I'm not sure what your nephew enjoys in terms of hobbies, but if he is into boats or carpentry or design this is a unique and wonderful experience. You can learn more about the school and the American who runs it at http://www.squero.com. Again, very unique but a real treat for the right person! Hope they are still doing their Tuesday and Friday presentations. Enjoy both cities, whatever you decide!!

Hello from a Louisvillian ....

Just wandering in Venice can fill a day and is wonderful. Feeding the pigeons was one of the most fun things I've ever done. Do the gondola. I didn't last time because it was soexpensive, and have regretted it ever since. You can bet I'll do it when I go back in March!

Have a wonderful trip!

If you decide to take a gondola ride, ask/negotiate the price before getting in. Our ride, while wonderful, was expensive and I don't think we needed to pay so much. Ask if you can 'drive' the gondola. All they can do is say no and you've lost nothing. Or, the gondalier might be agreeable and you'll have a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

T

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I grew up in a small town called Wawa, in Northern Ontario. Is your name any relation to that?

You grew up in Wawa? Is that not where they have the huge Canadian goose statue?

Had to have a laugh... I was wondering the same thing!!

Archived