Tipping on Jewel Civitavecchia departures

I always like to give extra for good service and for table service. Obviously our assigned waiters and cabin staff will get extra from us (one time at the end) and if we spend time in the bars we tip extra there as well (each time we order something).

We are wondering if we should provide cash tips in euros or in dollars? I would think euros would be more helpful than small bills in dollars, since then people could spend it on shore - but perhaps dollars are better if crews are saving them up to deposit? I have no idea.

Any help or even rational speculation much appreciated!

The cruise staff that I've talked to when cruising in Europe have told me that they prefer dollars since everything onboard the ship is in dollars and because some of them send the money back home where dollars tend to be more accepted than Euros. Also one of the problems with Euros are the coins which they can't convert into other currencies, so unless they live in Europe, the coins are a bit challenging.

Obviously we would get euro coins for tips.

You can´t exchange coins. The crew would prefer bills. So I highly recommend small dollar bills. If you want to tip your cabin steward a higher amount then Euro might be good and he/she can spend them ashore. But even amongst the crew you will hardly find anyone giving you a change for the coins!

And you don´t want to walk around with 10 1-Euro-coins in your pockets ;-)!

steamboats

And you don´t want to walk around with 10 1-Euro-coins in your pockets

Well, the Europeans are not going to be tipping in USD and you don't hear a chink-cink sound as the staff walk around. So, we know what's the cultural norm in terms of tipping. And, especially here one should do as one should when in Rome...

Well, the Europeans are not going to be tipping in USD and you don't hear a chink-cink sound as the staff walk around. So, we know what's the cultural norm in terms of tipping. And, especially here one should do as one should when in Rome...
Yes, and the currency used onboard RCI is the USD.

Last I checked, I was European and I do tip in USD. It´s the currency used onboard and it´s the currency I will use for tips, especially as it´s easier with 1 USD bills being available vs. 5 Euro bills as the smallest bill in EUR.

Coins are just inconvenient for tipping not only for the customer, but also for the staff receiving.

Even when cruising in Europe the crew only Needs Limit Euros for spending in port, as the majority of Money is sent home By many and there it´s easier for them to get USD.

It depends on your steward/waiter.

South and central American staff as well as Asian staff prefer dollars for reasons already described

Eastern Europeans prefer Euros for obvious reasons.

Also coins are ok as there are plenty pf exchange machines in port that convert to notes and staff sometimes need to run ashore to get cheap toiletries and what not.

Although you could always ask as it depends on their circumstances and their plans...our Phillipines room steward had a bag of Euros on his cart and when we got to known him he said he was spending a month between his contracts relaxing in Spain.

I think for small tips I will stick to dollars, since coins aren't easily converted into other currencies but exchange places will take $1 bills.

But will ask cabin steward, etc, what s/he prefers for larger tips as we will have both currencies.

This has been super helpful, everyone. Thanks so much.

I always like to give extra for good service and for table service. Obviously our assigned waiters and cabin staff will get extra from us (one time at the end) and if we spend time in the bars we tip extra there as well (each time we order something).

We are wondering if we should provide cash tips in euros or in dollars? I would think euros would be more helpful than small bills in dollars, since then people could spend it on shore - but perhaps dollars are better if crews are saving them up to deposit? I have no idea.

Any help or even rational speculation much appreciated!

I would agree with the consensus on US Dollars...BUT...

My question is one of how you are paying for your drinks? If you are paying by the drink, you could always just add an extra tip to your check when you sign. Know they are always automatically adding 18%, but, you can always just add a dollar if you want (without getting into the oft-debated question of whether the servers actually get that or pool it with the other servers--they may do that even with the bills).

For me, I NEVER carry money with me around the ship...I leave all of my cash, wallet, credit cards, etc. safely in my cabin safe, taking them out only to go into port...and once on the last night of my cruise to tip extra to my waiters, cabin stewards/butlers and the servers at the Diamond Lounge--with those tips based on my appreciation of excellent service above and beyond during the entire trip. I do not tip on a per drink basis--in hopes of somehow getting "better service" (I've found the service to always be excellent anyway)...the extra tip at the end is, rather, in response to the entirety of the service already given--a "thank you", not a "bribe"...One of the great things about cruising has always been the freedom of NOT carrying around a wallet or cash everywhere...

I would agree with the consensus on US Dollars...BUT...

My question is one of how you are paying for your drinks? If you are paying by the drink, you could always just add an extra tip to your check when you sign. Know they are always automatically adding 18%, but, you can always just add a dollar if you want (without getting into the oft-debated question of whether the servers actually get that or pool it with the other servers--they may do that even with the bills).

For me, I NEVER carry money with me around the ship...I leave all of my cash, wallet, credit cards, etc. safely in my cabin safe, taking them out only to go into port...and once on the last night of my cruise to tip extra to my waiters, cabin stewards/butlers and the servers at the Diamond Lounge--with those tips based on my appreciation of excellent service above and beyond during the entire trip. I do not tip on a per drink basis--in hopes of somehow getting "better service" (I've found the service to always be excellent anyway)...the extra tip at the end is, rather, in response to the entirety of the service already given--a "thank you", not a "bribe"...One of the great things about cruising has always been the freedom of NOT carrying around a wallet or cash everywhere...

We have the all-inclusive drink packages, and half the time don't get a slip when they are busy. I'd rather give cash directly to a server, when it's table service (which it often is), or to the bartender if I'm sitting at the bar for several drinks. I admit I rarely go above and beyond the automatic 18% when I stand in line for a cocktail in the WJ or grab a club soda from the bar in passing.

We have the all-inclusive drink packages, and half the time don't get a slip when they are busy. I'd rather give cash directly to a server, when it's table service (which it often is), or to the bartender if I'm sitting at the bar for several drinks. I admit I rarely go above and beyond the automatic 18% when I stand in line for a cocktail in the WJ or grab a club soda from the bar in passing.

And you do realize that they have already charged you an extra 18% to your drink package? When I have had the drink package on a ship, I have typically left it at that for the time being, then, if I've had a particularly great server or bartender during the cruise, I will remember them, then go back on the final night and hand them an envelope with a larger amount of cash in appreciation (If, for some reason they are not there, I will ask and they can usually direct me to their whereabouts). Again, this is in keeping with the notion that the system should remain, for the most part, "cashless"...and that I am thanking them for service as a whole, not bribing them a small amount for each drink.

Last I checked, I was European and I do tip in USD.

:'):'):') Well said! Let´s check... I´m German and I live in Germany... I think I´m still European ;p - and yes, I do tip in USD (and Euro - it depends for what I tip and whom I tip and where the cruise is going). BTW we had a cabin steward from Romania - he was happy getting Euro. On the Oasis TA our cabin steward told us that he has some hours off in Malaga (our first and only stop on that trip). We asked him whether he already got some Euro. He said no. Let´s say he was well equipped with Euro for his time off after our talk.

steamboats

And you do realize that they have already charged you an extra 18% to your drink package? When I have had the drink package on a ship, I have typically left it at that for the time being, then, if I've had a particularly great server or bartender during the cruise, I will remember them, then go back on the final night and hand them an envelope with a larger amount of cash in appreciation (If, for some reason they are not there, I will ask and they can usually direct me to their whereabouts). Again, this is in keeping with the notion that the system should remain, for the most part, "cashless"...and that I am thanking them for service as a whole, not bribing them a small amount for each drink.

Of course I know they have already charge the 18%. I am talking about servers who go above and beyond, especially when I want them to come back quickly.