Cuban Cruise Review - May 1st, 2017 - The very FIRST Norwegian sailing!!!

CTCruiser001

If you are going to expect this kind of cultural accommodation, going to Cuba right now is probably not an appropriate choice for you. I, for one, am looking forward to visiting *before* the island is Americanized. I think it's a rather narrow world view to visit other countries and be upset that they aren't speaking OUR language.

I'm not upset that they don't sing in English. I am VERY upset that NCL triples the price with NOTHING other than a ride and a ticket into the show. I'm not sure I want to pay just about triple the price, stand in a LONG hot sweaty line for entry to a show I can't understand. I would MUCH prefer paying the Cuban people directly to help the Cuban people and economy. But being a solo traveler on this one, I am not sure a cab ride at 1 a.m. is safe. SO .... it's just a toss up and a choice.

No trouble at all.

We met him in the plaza across the street from the terminal. He was holding a sign with our surname. There were several other guides doing the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks a bunch!!!

I want to thank you so much for taking your time to post what you did. It was a running account of your day and life on the Sky and in Cuba. My husband and I are going on the June 5th cruise. So looking forward to it. This will be our second cruise in 48 years of marriage. Some times you have to live vicariously through others, and that is what we are doing until JUne 5

Thanks so much. We are a party of 5 and booked our tour with Blexie. He gave us an option of 2 cars at $130 cucs each or a 50s station wagon for all of us for $150 cucs or a moden mini van for $200. He emailed promptly with options and confirmed our choices. We are traveling with a 16 year old and hope to find a club/show where he is allowed. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also would like to know about the re-entry into Miami, especially with the cigars. Did you bring any rum back with you? Also would like to know your numbers on the euros you got. From usd to euros to the number of kooks you got. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see you did Club Parisan. I have a couple of questions. I see the cruise ship offers this excursion at age 13? Did you see any teenagers in there? We are taking teens with us but when I asked this question on Trip Advisor I was raked across the coals for even wanting to take my kids in here.

Also how late were you there on the second day? Our itinerary made it seem like we left at noon but it looks like you are there until 4.

Thanks so much. We are a party of 5 and booked our tour with Blexie. He gave us an option of 2 cars at $130 cucs each or a 50s station wagon for all of us for $150 cucs or a moden mini van for $200. He emailed promptly with options and confirmed our choices. We are traveling with a 16 year old and hope to find a club/show where he is allowed. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Regarding the show, look on NCL excursions. I find it interesting you can book with them at age 13 but not with the clubs until age 18. I tried to call NCL today but the hold time was ridiculous. I will try again tomorrow. I asked Tropicana and they said the age is 18 which confuses me if NCL let you book at 13, same with Club Parisian. However NCL is charging twice the price.

Regarding the show, look on NCL excursions. I find it interesting you can book with them at age 13 but not with the clubs until age 18. I tried to call NCL today but the hold time was ridiculous. I will try again tomorrow. I asked Tropicana and they said the age is 18 which confuses me if NCL let you book at 13, same with Club Parisian. However NCL is charging twice the price.

I ended up booking through NCL for this particular excursion because my daughter is almost 15. Lots of reviews say no children, so I'm hoping that the extra cost is worth us being able to go. It's just the two of us on a mother-daughter trip. Please post what you find out from NCL. Thanks!

I ended up booking through NCL for this particular excursion because my daughter is almost 15. Lots of reviews say no children, so I'm hoping that the extra cost is worth us being able to go. It's just the two of us on a mother-daughter trip. Please post what you find out from NCL. Thanks!

When are you going?

When are you going?

We are on the May 29th sailing. First time ever (7 cruises) booking excursions through the cruise line, but decided since it is just the two of us we would for safety and convenience.

We are on the May 29th sailing. First time ever (7 cruises) booking excursions through the cruise line, but decided since it is just the two of us we would for safety and convenience.

Ok after 40 minutes on hold they said that they have an agreement w the clubs of age 13 and up. So they said if that changes the website will reflect that.

Ok after 40 minutes on hold they said that they have an agreement w the clubs of age 13 and up. So they said if that changes the website will reflect that.

Thank you for the info! I will keep my reservation with the cruise line and pay the extra money so we can both go to the show.

Day Two!

We woke up pretty late today – It was almost 10 am!! Oops!!!

We quickly dressed and went right off the ship without stopping to eat. We crossed the street and haggled a bit with a driver who wanted 20 CUC$ to bring us to the Museum of the Revolution. We kept saying no more than 10 CUC$ and he refused until another driver came up and said he would take us for 10 CUC$.

A short trip later and we paid that driver 15 CUC$ to include a nice tip for his help. Getting inside the museum required us to pay 8 CUC$ per person. After paying, there was a bag check station which we were required to leave our bags behind. The attendant gave us a plastic numbered token to match to the cubbyhole our bag was placed in. Included in the 8 CUC$ per person was admittance to the Gramma Memorial next to the museum. This was the small yacht which carried Castro into the Havanan Harbor during the Cuban Revolution. Surrounding the memorial were several other historical artifacts from the Cuban Revolution. As we were leaving, we caught the end of an unannounced changing of the guard – Quite fascinating to watch the soldiers marching.

Look for airfare from JFK to FLL. Much cheaper than flying out of Hartford or flying into Miami...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah we did that last year, JBLU and worked great. Welcome home, we're having the after cruise blues party over here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Afterwards we walked around the Plaza of Arms and sat in the shade for a few moments while watching people go back and forth. There was a tour going through with the guide holding a numbered sign high in the air, but little commentary – Those people looked dreadfully bored. We sat for a little while longer until we decided to go and visit the nearby fort, Castillo de la Real Fuerza. This is considered to be the oldest stone fort in the Americas. Built in the 1500’s to repel pirate invaders, the fort quickly fell into disuse due to its poor strategic location – Too far from the harbor. Today it is used to showcase wooden display ships and other artifacts found in the Cuban waters. The tiny history buff inside of me quickly fell in love with this place and the displays which were really well done. The cost per person was 3 CUC$ - Well worth the price to pay for what they offer you!