Transfer from London hotel to Southampton hotel

CH_ca

Yes, I know there are plenty of threads about this but I had a hard time finding a satisfying answer. :o

We are staying in a London hotel pre-cruise and then in a Southampton hotel the night before the cruise. Originally we planned to use National Express ( £5 pp) which is nice and cheap. Now that I think further. I'll have to lug my luggage from London hotel to the Tube. Take the Tube. Walk to Victoria Coach Station. Bus to Southampton. Walk to my Southampton hotel. All the walking are within 10 minutes so I don't want to bother catching a taxi, paying, and getting off. But thinking of the whole process of transfers is just overwhelming. Now since we are going from London to Southampton, will the 3 Southampton companies (Smith's, Aquacars, West Quay) charge more than a London company? I'll get quotes from those 3 but can anyone suggest some reliable London based companies? I've heard that 24/7 and Totally Driven are not too impressive.

We are staying in a London hotel pre-cruise and then in a Southampton hotel the night before the cruise.

Any particular reason why? I'm a pretty cautious traveller, and like to give myself plenty of extra time for unforeseen circumstances, but if I were cruising out of Southampton, I'd be travelling down from London the day of departure, considering the many options for travelling between the 2.

Originally we planned to use National Express ( £5 pp) which is nice and cheap. Now that I think further. I'll have to lug my luggage from London hotel to the Tube. Take the Tube. Walk to Victoria Coach Station. Bus to Southampton. Walk to my Southampton hotel. All the walking are within 10 minutes so I don't want to bother catching a taxi, paying, and getting off. But thinking of the whole process of transfers is just overwhelming.

Well, this part depends somewhat on what hotel in London you're staying. That said, I will say that the No. 1 rule when taking public transport is the ability to easily handle one's own luggage. I will spare you my full packing-light-is-liberating speech :D; that said, MamaTwick and I 1) have no problems taking taxis for short trips when necessary; and 2) usually favour the bus over tube in London, as it usually involves less walking (and there's usually space to put your luggage).

Of course, I personally am a train gal, so would probably be looking at what's available on Megatrain from Waterloo, which may or may not make the whole transfer process easier for you. And the advantage you have by going to Southampton the day before is you don't have to rush to get to the ship, you can take the cheapest train regardless of time. We took the train from Southampton to London, and found the process to be quite easy and straightforward.

I can't answer your questions re: private transfer, as I have never taken one between Southampton and London and would never consider doing so. What you have to remember is regardless of which company, it will be significantly more expensive than your public transport options would be. Whether or not that increased cost is worth it to you, only you can answer.

Edited by Twickenham

Those based in London have higher costs than those based elsewhere; this is likely to be reflected in the price. That said, if they have to drive up to collect you and something goes wrong (stuck on the motorway or break down) the Southampton firms have a harder time to get a replacement car to you.

Try a quote from Blackberry, who seem to get good reviews.

True! I was hoping the Southampton firms will pick us up after they drop off disembarked Southampton cruise passengers to Heathrow. That way, they won't waste a trip back. I'll get a quote from them as well as Blackberry. Thanks!

True! I was hoping the Southampton firms will pick us up after they drop off disembarked Southampton cruise passengers to Heathrow. That way, they won't waste a trip back. I'll get a quote from them as well as Blackberry. Thanks!

That's quite possible, especially if you do not want to be collected until after midday.

We are staying in a London hotel pre-cruise and then in a Southampton hotel the night before the cruise.
Any particular reason why? I'm a pretty cautious traveller, and like to give myself plenty of extra time for unforeseen circumstances, but if I were cruising out of Southampton, I'd be travelling down from London the day of departure, considering the many options for travelling between the 2.
I agree. Unless you have a specific reason for staying one night in Southampton, the best thing is simply to stay in London for the extra night and then transfer straight to the ship on the day of cruise departure.

I agree. Unless you have a specific reason for staying one night in Southampton, the best thing is simply to stay in London for the extra night and then transfer straight to the ship on the day of cruise departure.

Altho' I have home-town pride in Southampton, if you've not been to London before and if you're only there for 2 or 3 days I'm inclined to agree that you should spend that last full day in London.

Southampton is only 1.5 to 2.5 hours from London (depending on your mode of transport), there are plenty of Plan B's if your travel plans get scuppered, and it's perfectly normal to travel from there to Southampton on the morning of the sailing.

Southampton has a pleasant & compact city centre with more than enough very adequate & sensibly-priced hotels, enough minor sights of interest for a day, a good range of city shops, historic pubs, and a wide selection of dining options. Good for a leisurely 24 hours away from the hustle and bustle of the big bad city, but if your time in London is limited.............

JB :).

Altho' I have home-town pride in Southampton, if you've not been to London before and if you're only there for 2 or 3 days I'm inclined to agree that you should spend that last full day in London.
Yes, sorry - I should have been clearer that that was in the context of someone who is spending 2-3 days in London; moving just for one night is disruptive and there aren't enough benefits.

If someone is only spending one single pre-cruise night in the UK then there's a better argument for just going to Southampton and chilling out. Ditto if one has a much longer pre-cruise stay, in which case two or three nights in Southampton might not be a bad idea (especially with other places to visit nearby, such as Portsmouth).

Yes, I know there are plenty of threads about this but I had a hard time finding a satisfying answer. :o

We are staying in a London hotel pre-cruise and then in a Southampton hotel the night before the cruise. Originally we planned to use National Express ( £5 pp) which is nice and cheap. Now that I think further. I'll have to lug my luggage from London hotel to the Tube. Take the Tube. Walk to Victoria Coach Station. Bus to Southampton. Walk to my Southampton hotel. All the walking are within 10 minutes so I don't want to bother catching a taxi, paying, and getting off. But thinking of the whole process of transfers is just overwhelming. Now since we are going from London to Southampton, will the 3 Southampton companies (Smith's, Aquacars, West Quay) charge more than a London company? I'll get quotes from those 3 but can anyone

suggest some reliable London based companies? I've heard that 24/7 and Totally Driven are not too impressive.

We got a good rate from Smith's and are using them in July. We have 3 couples and each are staying in different places in London so they will have to make 3 pick-ups and then we're all off to the same cruise.