Good rental car company in Fort Lauderdale

bucky0926

I originally asked for the cheapest car to rent. But after looking at prices (all within 20 dollars of each other) I am now asking for the best company to deal with.

Years ago, when my son was four, and before everyone had a cell phone my family went to Orlando. I booked a car, I think it was budget but I wouldn't swear to it. My husband left me at the airport with my son all the luggage and boarded the shuttle to pick up the car.

Two and a half hours later when he still didn't come back I started to panic. There was an undercover police officer who saw I was freaking and asked me what was wrong. I told him and he said he should be here shortly and that sometimes it does take that long. While conversing with him they called my name out over the loud speaker to go to a courtesy phone. It was the rental company saying my husband was fine and was in the process of finishing up the paperwork. He had them call because he knew I would worry. Waiting in the airport for 3 hours to rent a car is crazy.

So now I would like to hear where fellow cruisers had good and bad experiences. How long did you wait for shuttle? How long did it take to pick up the car? How was drop off? Were you pushed for extra insurances or charged differently than your contracted rate? Since I'll be on vacation I would like it to be as hassle free as possible. So far I'm leaning toward Alamo because I want to pick up at the airport and drop it by Port Everglades and they were the only company who had half way decent reviews. They were the most expensive but for the price difference it might be worth it. Thanks in advance for responding.

We've used Avis several times with good results. We rent at the FLL airport and drop at the location at the Hyatt Pier 66, where they have a free shuttle to the cruise terminals. One time we had just missed the cruise shuttle bus, so had to wait about 20 minutes for it to come back.