Yes, from Piazzale Roma there are directional signs for St Mark's. You are likely to feel lost as you meander through the back canals but in fact that's part of the fun! You get a real feel of Venice.

There are plenty of directional signs at 1st floor level to the Rialto Bridge, St Mark's and the Accademia Bridge - all iconic landmarks. I have one of those pop-up maps of Venice which I find useful to give us a general idea of where we are and the direction we want to go. We took a fairly relaxed walk, taking in the sites and taking pictures and I reckon it took us about 45 mins to get to St Mark's via the Rialto Br. But you are sight-seeing all along the way so it forms part of your day's experience.

If you walk in I'd recommend you get the vaporetto which goes via the Grand Canal back to P. Roma as you get fabulous views of the palatial buildings from the waters whic you don't get otherwise. Enjoy. Venice is a real treat.

We found the hop on hop off water bus was a great way to get around other locations - having visited Venice before we bodyswerved St.Marks etc.

The island of Murano, where they do the fine glass products was worthwhile.