Interesting Info!>?

M.S JAZO

Gossip in the cruise industry is that Richard Fain met Richard Branson today, U know the guy from Virgin everything. Its just gossip, but heard he wants to get into the Cruise industry and X or both X and RCI might be up for sale, and maybe, Just Gossip, Century plans have been scarped, even after they cost so much to get together, Just Gossip going around today which came to me and letting it out. Its not me, so dont flame me.

:confused: Hi,

Branson has been talking to bigwigs in the industry for quite a while now, in the Miami area ( which obviously points to RCL )

Yes, he states quite publicly his intentions to enter the industry.

Stay tuned. for more reliable news which are sure to emerge in the next little while.

Cheers

CG

:rolleyes:

HUH!!!!

Should I be concerned?

No.

Right now these are just rumors and nothing more.

What I could see more than a buyout of RCI is RCI selling X to Branson. With the way he operates his airline. It could be a good thing.

But until we see something other than rumors and gossip, I wouldn't worry.

Rumors come and rumors go, that is what they are right now: any changes in ownership would take quite awhile so I am not even thinking about anything in regards to rumors at this time. Even a buyout would not, necessarily change anything. I retired from a major hotel chain about 7 years ago; the rumor was "it will be sold, it will be sold" family wants no part of it: has it ever been sold? Not on your life, instead it expanded like crazy.

NMNita

Rumors come and rumors go, that is what they are right now: any changes in ownership would take quite awhile so I am not even thinking about anything in regards to rumors at this time. Even a buyout would not, necessarily change anything. I retired from a major hotel chain about 7 years ago; the rumor was "it will be sold, it will be sold" family wants no part of it: has it ever been sold? Not on your life, instead it expanded like crazy.

NMNita

Was it Hilton, because it appears they have expanded like crazy with their newer divisions that are all very different from each other?

He should buy Princess back from Carnival.
Yes, Yes he should.

I don't think RCI or X is up for sail. I was thinking about this for a long time while trying to get to sleep. My bet is that Richard Branson is going into a partnership with RCCL to open up a new type of cruise line. I did a lot of searching on this and what I found is that Branson wants to come up with a new concept in the cruise industry. Here is the link. http://www.virginbrand.com/newblog/index.php?p=382

You can't start a cruise line without ships. So Branson either has to buy an existing cruise line or build his own ships. Building new ships would obviously take a few years so it would be quite some time until his cruise line would sail. The alternative would be to get hold of some existing ships from existing cruise lines or just buy an entire cruise line. Perhaps the plan is to have him take over the mega-ships that have been slated to be built for Celebrity. That would be a shame since it would leave Celebrity withour any new builds in a marketplace full of people that only want to sail on the newest, largest ships.

You can't start a cruise line without ships. So Branson either has to buy an existing cruise line or build his own ships. Building new ships would obviously take a few years so it would be quite some time until his cruise line would sail. The alternative would be to get hold of some existing ships from existing cruise lines or just buy an entire cruise line. Perhaps the plan is to have him take over the mega-ships that have been slated to be built for Celebrity. That would be a shame since it would leave Celebrity withour any new builds in a marketplace full of people that only want to sail on the newest, largest ships.

I do think Celebrity has declined a bit under RCI management. My first three cruises with X were significantly better than my most recent on Mercury.

I also think that the typical X passenger is not so hot on the mega ships. IME, they provide considerably less personal service and SPR than the ships X sails now. Also, the biggest market for these monster ships are families and I find that X has a different focus.

I personally have not enjoyed my cruises on the big ships. Rock climbing walls, ice rinks, etc, are not why I cruise. I want some luxury, good food, great service and a variety of options for entertainment should I feel like being entertained. The sheer volume of people packed onto the big ships is enough to send me running in the opposite direction.

I think the average X pax is much like me and is looking for a more traditional and upscale cruising experience. I question the value of the announced new builds to X's loyal customer base and do not neccessarily think that a new owner for the line would be a bad thing at all.

I do think Celebrity has declined a bit under RCI management. My first three cruises with X were significantly better than my most recent on Mercury.

I also think that the typical X passenger is not so hot on the mega ships. IME, they provide considerably less personal service and SPR than the ships X sails now. Also, the biggest market for these monster ships are families and I find that X has a different focus.

I personally have not enjoyed my cruises on the big ships. Rock climbing walls, ice rinks, etc, are not why I cruise. I want some luxury, good food, great service and a variety of options for entertainment should I feel like being entertained. The sheer volume of people packed onto the big ships is enough to send me running in the opposite direction.

I think the average X pax is much like me and is looking for a more traditional and upscale cruising experience. I question the value of the announced new builds to X's loyal customer base and do not neccessarily think that a new owner for the line would be a bad thing at all.

The "typical Celebrity Passenger" is much harder to define than it use to be, and that is part of the problem.

Perhaps if Celebrity got its focus back, the target demographic would become clearer, too. It's a chicken and egg thing.

I agree with you. In recent years, Celebrity has tried to be all things to all people and that strategy rarely works. However, it might be more profitable for the cruise line than if they focused on providing an ideal cruise experience for their traditional target demographic, which represents a relatively small segment of the cruising population.

I agree with you. In recent years, Celebrity has tried to be all things to all people and that strategy rarely works. However, it might be more profitable for the cruise line than if they focused on providing an ideal cruise experience for their traditional target demographic, which represents a relatively small segment of the cruising population.
Agree 100%. That's why when the *&^%ing contests occur on these boards about the few things that X does to differentiate itself (e.g., the dress code), I will always jump to Celebrity's defense. If they've got a strategy to capture their own piece of the market, who are we to try to put a wrench in it while we're aboard? That said, if they intend to move back to a higher level of differentiation, they're going to have to do it in strategic fashion, not tactically.

I can't help but wonder if Virgin might understand this better, but it's hard to tell. The differing levels of service they tend to provide between their various cabin classes are known to be rather extreme -- moreso than many of their competitors. Do we get economy (no fun at all) or business class (now this is the way to fly!)? Do we get the Virgin Clubhouse (their in-airport facility) treatment, or the cheese and crackers of a United Red Carpet Club?

I think Celebrity has hit it's niche. It has a higher class than the average cruise line but it is still accessible to the public. Celebrity holds the line between RCI and the upper class lines very well. Celebrity has classiness without being stuck-up. I know there are some people that would like to have Celebrity be more like RSSC but that is not who they are and I don't think they would find the clientèle.

I think it is highly unlikely that RCCL will sell off Celebrity. So if Richard Branson is planning on buying anything from Richard Fain it is going to be the whole thing, RCI, Celebrity, and everything else. I don't think this will happen though.

Agree 100%. That's why when the *&^%ing contests occur on these boards about the few things that X does to differentiate itself (e.g., the dress code), I will always jump to Celebrity's defense. If they've got a strategy to capture their own piece of the market, who are we to try to put a wrench in it while we're aboard? That said, if they intend to move back to a higher level of differentiation, they're going to have to do it in strategic fashion, not tactically.

I can't help but wonder if Virgin might understand this better, but it's hard to tell. The differing levels of service they tend to provide between their various cabin classes are known to be rather extreme -- moreso than many of their competitors. Do we get economy (no fun at all) or business class (now this is the way to fly!)? Do we get the Virgin Clubhouse (their in-airport facility) treatment, or the cheese and crackers of a United Red Carpet Club?

As with any business, there are two categories of clients. those who are more concerned with how good you are and those who are more concerned with how cheap you are. It is still possible for a cruise line to cater to the relatively small segment of the market who will pay more for a better product and be profitable, but once they grow beyond the demand from that target client they are almost forced to re-evaluate their priorities.

Thanks for the laugh of the day. Imagining Branson with his own company financial problems trying to buy RCCL!!

In any event, it's been in the trades for some time that Branson is interested in the cruise business. BTW he tried the rail business........simply dreadful.

It is full speed ahead on the Century refit.

Was it Hilton, because it appears they have expanded like crazy with their newer divisions that are all very different from each other?
you got it lady; of course in the olden days I was compted or paid almost nothing for our rooms as I was an employee. Now I am just a little ole part time TA so don't have much money. I love the Hampton Inns; We build up Hhonors points and use them for hotels in NYC or London among other places. For all the years I worked there they were always about to be sold. From there you know pretty much what happened. I also like the choices we have now, not just Hilton, Hampton Inns, but Embassy suites and others. We can almost always find a Hilton brand where ever we planned to stop for a night or a week. NMnita

Archived