Elegant Night: When is it and what to wear

Cruzgal31

Hey everyone! So my husband and I are taking our first cruise ever on the Breeze in May 2018. (Spa balcony) We are very excited and in my OCD planning state, I've been reading these forums pretty much every day since I made our booking last week. You've all been extremely helpful btw! One question I've had is in regards to Elegant night. Is there a way I can find out this far in advance what exact days on our trip Elegant night will be? I made two reservations for the Steakhouse and I'm afraid I made them both on Elegant nights 😳 (Our cruise is 7 day, so I think we have two, correct?) To be honest, I am fine with wearing a nice summer maxi and jewelry to the MDR, or specialty restaurant, but wasn't really wanting to have to worry about packing a nice cocktail or evening gown and all that goes with that. Any help in this regard would be appreciated!

Usually....

Elegant nights are never the first or last nights, nor will they be on consecutive nights.

Usually the first CE night is the first sea day, your second night onboard. The second one is usually on night 5 or 6.

No need for an evening gown. The maxi dress sounds fine for any night.

FWIW most men aren't wearing full suits these days on CE nights.

SadieN is quite right about the scheduling. So I just want to add about the dress codes.

For Elegant Evenings Carnival expects at minimum business casual dress so for the guys that means khakis and polo shirts and for ladies well actual it's the same (though few do, preferring as you mentioned a fancier sundress). Also don't be surprised to see people in true formal wear, tuxes and gowns, or those that decide to remain in shorts & tees. For the most part those that dress fancier than required are doing so because they want to or have plans for having special photos made from the portraits the ship's photo staff take. While those that decide to keep it too causal will be asked to eat up at the buffet. The restaurants will be the only venues on board that have a strict dress code.

Usually the Steakhouse is a one up on the dress code of the night so if your reservations do turn out to be for either of the Elegant Nights the hostess may ask men t wear a button down and tie, while women can still wear a fancy sundress. On cruise casual nights men will be required to wear pants but a casual short sleeved shirt will be acceptable, ladies can get away with capris (just no shorts) and a nice top.

.............................but wasn't really wanting to have to worry about packing a nice cocktail or evening gown and all that goes with that. Any help in this regard would be appreciated!

You will not need any of that on Elegant Night in either the Dining Room or the Steakhouse. :)

As the others have stated, a summer maxi will be great in either place but I would add that you may want to add a shrug or sweater to your outfit as the MDR tends to be on cool side. Other than that enjoy the cruise!

***BTW, you will love your balcony cabin, try to get up early at least one day to enjoy coffee (room service) on the balcony and watch the sun rise over the ocean. A beautiful sight to behold and a very peaceful, wonderful way to start your day!!! :hearteyes:

shorts can be worn any night other than cruise elegant night. many wear them now, as it has become way more relaxed than it was. the main thing about a cruise is just don't overthink or over plan it. relax and have fun.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help. I didn't want to be under dressed for the steakhouse (and we have reservations on the first sea day and the very last sea night) since it sounded like at least one of those times would be Elegant nights. To me a maxi is just as comfortable as shorts or capris, so that'll work perfect! Now I just have to convince the husband to wear a tie on vacation.

And Drazil65-thanks! We are very excited about the balcony. I can't wait to just have some days sitting and reading and doing NOTHING.

The other thing to point out is that even though there are two elegant nights, folks usually only "really" dress up for the first one. That's when you'll see some guys in suits or tuxes (very rare now) and women in cocktail dresses or ball gowns, and folks take their formal portraits. The second elegant night is more toned down. At most you'll see guys in blazers or sport coats (no ties) and women in cute summer dresses. So If you have your heard set on "putting on the dog", plan to do it on the first elegant night.

If you want to get a family portrait, take nice clothes for the elegant nights. They have photographers set up everywhere on decks 3,4, and 5. Lots of people use these for getting the family shots by a professional. It is pretty nice to see people all dressed up for them. And you can have photos taken, then view them before you decide to buy or not.