Regarding best views on Skagway train excursion, bus back---

Jetswdo

I am just trying to double check-- We booked through Chilkoot- the 7:30 train ride, going back by bus, with dog sled excursion--I believe we lucked out in that our ship will be the only ship in Skagway that day, so less competition for seating "real estate"-

Was it recommended to sit on the left side for the train ride up the mountain, then sit on the right side on the bus coming back down? I did write that down someplace, just want to double check. Thanks, Anita

I wish someone would have told me two years ago, we chose the wrong side :) and we were among the first to board. Up on the left side is best views, the whole way. On the way up they give the tour. They don't repeat it on the way down so you have to remember.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So seats on the train and bus are not reserved? Does this include the tours sold by Celebrity?

When do they collect tickets? I'd like to go to the vestibule between cars for photos as quickly as possible.

Thank You!!

• When you sit the canyon side, you can see the entire 18" wide White Pass trail below you.
  • The other cliff side has a rock face inches from your window nearly the entire trip. You not able to see the White Pass trail as the path is below the train window.

Clear details. leaving on the train from Skagway, sit on the left. YES the seats do fold back for forward viewing on the return from Fraser, and YES they do ask passengers to switch sides on the round trips.

By road from Skagway- sit on the RIGHT, from Fraser, sit on the left. However- likely, those doing Fraser train, Emerald Lake combo trips, won't switch seats with the road transit. It is significantly superior seating on the smaller buses. Poor viewing of other sides on the cruise tour, tour buses.

So seats on the train and bus are not reserved? Does this include the tours sold by Celebrity?

When do they collect tickets? I'd like to go to the vestibule between cars for photos as quickly as possible.

Thank You!!

The seats on the train aren't reserved. They will take your ticket when you board the train. Yes once the starts you can go out on the platform, I believe they limit the number to 4 out on the platform at one time.

We booked through Chilkoot- the 7:30 train ride, going back by bus, with dog sled excursion

We just did this exact excursion this week and it was beyond amazing!!! Our ship was the only one in port that day. We also did the train first, and all of Chilkoot's patrons had the last train car to ourselves. It was only about half full, maybe a little more, and though my husband and I sat on the left (I knew to get a seat on the left), by the time the ride got underway, pretty much everyone moved over to the left. It actually freaked me out a bit because it felt like the train car would lean to the left too much, but I suppose if we were in danger of tipping they would have done something to disperse the weight better.

Also, be aware that you can also get up from your seat and stand outside the car at the front or back, to take pictures. Everyone was pretty respectful and took turns.

Another tip: if it's cold out, dress warm. The train car takes quite awhile to warm up because it's only heated with a wood stove.

As far as the bus portion is concerned, either side is fine. My husband and I sat at the every back and had it all to ourselves, so I found myself switching sides constantly to get a look at something. Also, there are many stops, so you can get off the bus for good pictures.

Lastly, the dog ride was fun, but no way is it 15 mins long as advertised. It's worth doing at least once, though. For the experience. Just try not to be disappointed that it's not a long ride.

Oh, and if you have Brian for a tour guide, you'll be in good hands. He was fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info regarding the dog cart-- I'm sure it is just a quick ride-- but cute to do once--

Ok so we will sit on the left side of the train and probably have the last car, which is great.

We will sit on the left side of the bus as well then, coming back. Hopefully it won't be too crowded, as I mentioned earlier, thank goodness on Skagway day, we are the only ship-- (Celebrity Solstice)

Clear details. leaving on the train from Skagway, sit on the left. YES the seats do fold back for forward viewing on the return from Fraser, and YES they do ask passengers to switch sides on the round trips.

By road from Skagway- sit on the RIGHT, from Fraser, sit on the left. However- likely, those doing Fraser train, Emerald Lake combo trips, won't switch seats with the road transit. It is significantly superior seating on the smaller buses. Poor viewing of other sides on the cruise tour, tour buses.

Forgive me but I want to be sure--for the bus there/train back, I should sit on the RIGHT for the bus portion? I wasn't worried about the bus portion since I figured we be getting out for stops but I might as well sit on the best side if I can.

Forgive me but I want to be sure--for the bus there/train back, I should sit on the RIGHT for the bus portion? I wasn't worried about the bus portion since I figured we be getting out for stops but I might as well sit on the best side if I can.

Still confused, I'm also bus up/train back. I guess we're in the same boat...so to speak. :)

On the bus, leaving Skagway sit on the right. on the train leaving Fraser- back to Skagway, sit on the right.

The seats on the train aren't reserved. They will take your ticket when you board the train. Yes once the starts you can go out on the platform, I believe they limit the number to 4 out on the platform at one time.

Perfect! Thanks EagleCW for the information.